Hello!

SillyChicken

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 12, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm from Michigan - eagerly waiting spring and my new chicks due in March/April. I had chickens over 15 years ago and had your basic mix of birds. I missed not having the wonderful eggs to eat. (I wish I kept the old laying boxes etc..)

We've (my husband and I) have been working on being more self sufficient. We've been gardening and canning, we even canned my venison! It's been fun learning new things. We decided that chickens were going to be better (more fun) to have than rabbits at this time (faster ROI too)... we're starting small! My new home is set on 10 acres and at some point I hope to have some miniature cattle and sheep as well.

I have a small breeding kennel with 4 mastiffs so the chickens won't be able to be free range, unless I can be with them....it's not likley the dogs will be able to restrain themselves from a chase or other unthinkable things! Plus I've spent alot of $$ on landscaping I don't want destroyed.

I've ordered 14 (incl 2 roosters) Salmon Faverolles. I felt they would be the best suited for my situation. I'm splitting an order with my SIL who has a small farm down the road from me. I had to get more than I wanted due to order size but I'm sure she would take a few, if they all make it. (I really only want 8 pullets and 1 rooster)

I have an old outhouse I hauled over from my parents farm 20 years ago...it's been sitting forever waiting for me to do something with it. It's a rather roomy 5x6, 2 seater that needs a little work but I think will make a very cute coop (I've dubbed it Coop di Pooh!
coopdipooh2.jpg

This is what I have in mind. I'll add an exterior laying box and a small coupula on the roof for extra ventilation (also going to use the current moon slits on the ends for vents) We also have alot of dog kennel panels that we'll use to make runs for the chickens. (we'll use HWC on the lower half & buried, and netting on top) I'm going to go with a dirt floor in the coop and Deep layor bedding (can't wait for some of that fertilizer too).

I've gotten alot of good ideas from viewing your coop photos etc so I'm excited to get started.

Cheers!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Silly! You will have to stop in at the "Michigan" thread in "Where am I where are you" and say hello. Always nice to see new Michiganders on the BYC forum.

Welcome to BYC. My husband and I have a small chemical free farm in Bowdon GA where we raise and sell eggs and babies of chickens, geese, ducks, turkeys guinease, rabbits, milk goats, beef, pig and more

Have a blessed and happy time on BYC!

Back
Top Bottom