Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by amycibo, May 24, 2010.

1. amycibo

amycibo New Egg

May 24, 2010
    Hi! My name is Amy, I live in Ramona, Ca and I don't have chickens yet but I am doing the research to be prepared for when i do! I am in the process of converting a small part of my garage into a coop. It is closed off from the rest of the garage and has a small garage door (which i think would make cleaning it a breeze) as well as a regular door that opens into the fenced in run. My boyfriend and I have worked in the restaurant business for years and have quite a few wood wine boxes that I think would work great as nesting boxes. I pretty much have everything i need in terms of supplies, just have to finish it all up. I am thinking of starting out with 3-5 chickens. My one major concern is my dogs. I have 2 mutts-one lab pit mix, one that i really am not sure of, maybe dalmatian, pit, hound of some kind? He's a heinz 57 variety! Anyways, they are both around 60-70lbs and pretty good with my cat-chase her a little bit but nothing too serious. However, Snoopy-the mega mutt, has killed birds and mice in the garage before. I am not sure of how they are going to react to the chickens. I am hoping they eventually get bored of barking at them or whatever they are going to do! I do plan on keeping them separate, but when they are in the run I am sure the dogs will want to terrorize them! What is the best way to introduce everyone, and handle everything? Also, any tips on my coop would be welcome!
    Thanks!

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    [​IMG]

socialize the dogs right from day one... keep the dogs on a leash and praise them and give them lots of treats when they ignore them.... there are many many training methods good luck [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  3. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007