Hello!

paynetamaz

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
I am so excited to find BYC!! There is so much I didn't know about chickens that I have learned in just the last hour reading on this site! For example: One lady let her chickens go in the garden to eat the cabbage worms off the broccoli, when the worms were gone they ate the broccoli! Aaahhhh, I would have let the chickens run in my garden and they would have eaten it...FOR SURE! Well, I don't HAVE the chickens yet, thank goodness, cuz I have a lot to learn! But, I do have a question, when I buy the new babies and then find out that I go some roosters what do I do with them? I can't have them here...

Thanks!

Amy

Welcome!
big_smile.png

The easiest way to deal with roosters is to butcher them, however you could try listing them for sale here or on craigslist first.
smile.png

I am a first time chicken owner. I went to a lady who has a farm and she hatched and sold. I bought mine at 8 weeks. She had a horse stall of little chickens. Probably about 200 or so running around. I told her I also wanted one rooster. She went to another stall and came back with a roo. I guessed she had sexed them and separated them, but at 8 weeks they all looked the same to me. Well... the chickens are now 15 weeks and they are all female! I am very dissapointed that my girls have no boy living with them. Now I am searching craigslist to a rooster the same age as my hens. Perhaps you will have this kind good luck for yourself.

You can buy sexed chicks on-line from My Pet Chicken with something like 95% accuracy on the sexing. I bought our chicks from our local feed store and I asked them about the whole rooster thing and they had a number for a farm gal that would take un-wanted chickens. I have also seen a lot of roo's posted on craigslist. They seem to get re-homed pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom