1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by doghamstyluv95, Apr 29, 2007.

1. doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    hey guys! im new here. i dont have any chickens, but we are getting some soon. what kinds of breeds do you guys suggest?[​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Are you looking for pets, meat birds, egg layers? Large fowl or bantams? What part of the country are you in? Some chickens do better in heat or cold than others.

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!

3. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Welcome!

Yes, we need a little more info to help you out with that question.
    Everyone has their own favorites, but if we know what you are expecting, we can be of much more help.

Jean

4. doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    ok ill try and give you the most info that i can give. here we go!

ok well we live in New Jersey, there are average temperatures here.

we want to get around 20 birds, and we want half of them to be pets and the others to be egg layers. and i guess bantams. but my mom really likes Wyandottes. are they good egg layers or pets? and what other breeds do you suggest?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  5. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    For a very large yet hardy breed that lays and are pritty i sugest langshan's but for medium and good layers i sugest Australorps there like Rhode islanders yet are sweet even males and look like they have a dark eye liner on. Don't now have any experience with great laying bantams but if your looking for pet and brooders to hatch babies i'd say the bantam cochin:D

6. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    if you just want them for pets, or eggs "just for the family and friends" then i suggest bantams

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by