Hello! :)

sophistre

Hatching
7 Years
I'm really new to the prospect of keeping chickens. I'm so new to the idea that I'm not even moved into the home where I'll have the ability to do that, yet! Right now I'm still living in Cambridge, MA, where I've been for the last 10 years...but TODAY I go to closing on a home on Bainbridge Island, and I'll finally get moved in come November. I'm toooooooo excited for words, and I have so much to learn.

I've been reading up a storm about gardening, particularly gardening in the PNW, and over the course of my research became more than a little bit interested in adding chickens to my life, since I'll have some acreage. These boards have been really great -- I love to be well-armed with information before I jump into something (even if I know there'll inevitably be unforeseen surprises later), and BYC has been a fantastic resource.

I'm sure lots of questions from me will start popping up all over the place soon enough!

I'd like to start with one just on this thread, though, since it might be sort of specific to the region. Covering the run seems pretty critical with the weather...but because the rain in the PNW is that drawn-out, drizzling mist, how dry will the run stay, even with a roof over it, if the enclosure is tall enough for me to walk around inside of? Will the ambient humidity make things damp anyway?

Thanks for any advice! I'm looking forward to learning all that I can.
yippiechickie.gif

Hello and welcome! Glad to have you aboard.

You have the opposite problem we do...it's very arid with little rain here ;) If your run is covered it should provide a place they can wander about doing chicken things without getting rained on...make it wide enough so that they can hang in the middle for those times when it rains sideways. I'd recommend sand in the bottom of the run. It'll provide good drainage, prevent a muddy mess, and still give them good "scratchability" Make sure the run isn't in a low spot where the water will run into it, and scoop regularly so the smell doesn't get ghastly...wet poop is really smelly! LOL

Hello, Welcome to BYC! Congratulations on your new home. I'd suggest adding a sand layer to the run area. That would greatly reduce water problems and allow drainage.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I agree with the above posters. Sand and a wide run. Enjoy your new house!

Back
Top Bottom