Hello

mgray

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 12, 2013
Alabama
I started with keeping chickens (Golden Comets) two years ago. Due to various mishaps, maladies and mistakes, I only have one left out of four. I bought some 4 week old Marans before Christmas, and last night raccoons (I think) got into the chicken yard and killed 4 of the 8 week old Marans. I'm a city person who moved to the country and know nothing about raccoons. Will they be back? My husband wants to take the 22 and sit and wait for them to come back. Now that the raccoons have eaten 4, will I always have to lock up my chickens? Help! We did lock everyone into the coop tonight. We thought they were protected in the yard with the chicken wire, but we were very, horribly wrong.

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!
we always lock every one in for the night!

Greetings from Kansas, mgray, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Sorry to hear about your raccoons! I agree with willowbranch....check out the predator section. Good luck to you!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Yes they will be back. And if you kill them, others will come. You will hear lots of advice about killing predators, but the only way to safeguard your birds is to make their pen predator-proof, and close them up every night. Everyone likes a free chicken dinner.

Back
Top Bottom