Hello!

nevermorefarm

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Colusa County, CA
Hello! I operate a small CSA farm in Arbuckle, California. I have kept chickens for over 20 years. As part of my studies at UC Davis I was able to take some avian sciences classes that fostered my interest in having my own birds. Initially I kept a small backyard flock in Davis, CA. What really kindled my interest in learning more were the years spent employed at the state veterinary diagnostic lab at UC Davis, where I was able to see a great many cases of chicken and turkey illness and mortality under the guidance of veterinary pathologists. I was also responsible for working with specific pathogen free (SPF) groups of turkeys and chickens and became very skilled at avian phlebotomty. I was able to ask many questions of some of the top poultry scientists, all of which was an incredible learning opportunity for someone of my background. I've worked alongside the veterinary field in one capacity or another since I was 15 years old. In 2002 when we moved to a ten acre parcel of land that would become our little farm, we brought our backyard chickens with us, and were able to "go crazy" with poultry. We kept heritage breed chickens (Delaware, Buckeye) and turkeys (Royal Palm, Narragansett, Beltsville Small White) and peafowl (Indian Blue, White, Pied) for many years, selling both eggs and meat. In the past few years the skyrocketing costs of commercial feed have left us needing to downsize, as it is not possible to even break even economically on egg or meat sales. We have placed all but a few pet turkeys with other farms who can continue their bloodlines, and are in the process of gradually letting our chicken population drop to "family sized" levels. Because of the things that go wrong on a farm, I've had some big challenges with poultry husbandry. We cannot afford veterinary services for farm animals, but have access to the supplies and information to carry out most treatments ourselves. We've successfully healed everything from birds with long-bone fractures to birds that had over 40% of their bodies maimed from animal attacks. We've suffered through outbreaks of AE brought in from hatcheries, assorted parasite problems, predators and....you name it. I really enjoy helping others learn about poultry both inside and out, how they behave in sickness and health, being able to conduct simple postmortem exams on birds, their housing and reproductive needs, and understanding and appreciating their unique behaviors. It saddens me to see how most birds are kept commercially in this country and how the economics of raising animals seem to overshadow all other considerations. I wish more people were willing to pay fair prices for meat and eggs, so that we could raise our standards of animal husbandry to better levels. We believe that animals can be used humanely, and that there is never an excuse for cruel treatment. Looking forward to participating in the forums here as time allows. Cheers!
-Deborah

Greetings from Kansas, Deborah, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here. That was a very thoughtful intro - thank you for sharing. Lot's of folks on BYC share your concern with the state of commercial poultry raising. It sounds like you are going to be a super addition to BYC - look forward to seeing you around the various forums. Best of luck to you!!

Back
Top Bottom