Hello

gauthierpeeps

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 10, 2007
Draneville, Georgia
Hi,
I am very new to raising chickens, and these are the first I have ever had. I have a few questions. We moved our chicks from a large dog crate into their Coop outside and they don't seem to know what to do. For instance they don't go in at night, they go in and out all day. Ever since they were around 3 weeks old I would take them outside for a half hour in the morning and in the evening. Letting them get used to outside longer and longer until now. My question is what is normal when introducing chicks to their Henhouse? Should we put them on the roosts or in the nest boxes or should we leave them to figure it all out on their own? Next we just got 2 new chicks about a week old. When can these 2 be introduced to the others? Will they all get along?

Thanks,
GG
smile.png

Try shutting them up in the coop for a few days without letting them out. This should get them used to the coop. Then start letting them out during the day and if you have to, round them up a night and make sure they go in the coop. They're just alittle scared and it will take a while to acclimate them. When you introduce the new chicks, keep them in a small cage or crate inside the coop with the bigger chicks. This will get them use to each other. I'd do this for about a week. Or until the new chicks obtain enough size that they won't get picked on. Beware there will be pecking and fighting for the next few months as they need to establish their pecking order. If it gets to bad, separate them again, doing everything as before and keep trying. Eventually they will get along.
wink.png

Hi. and welcome!
frow.gif

All we had to to w/ ours was to put them in their coop at abt 6:00 pm in the evening, Then all the next day and a second night then let em out the following a.m and they have been going in all by them selfs since. Even in the same order
lau.gif
. ..JoJo, Thelma & Louise, Then miss butters bringing up the rear. its like watching a lil parade.....
pop.gif

Welcome!
frow.gif
Everyone is different but we put ours in the closed up coup (they had windows so there was air circulating)for two weeks and then finally let them outside this past Saturday. We still have to put four or five in at night. Ours are going in and out all day long. They are so fun to watch on their first time out without restraints.
wee.gif

Welcome to the insanity. What everybody else said, plus re: roosts & nestboxes, they will figure out sleeping on the roosts when they're old enough. It's something most chickens do instinctively. The nestboxes are only for laying eggs in, so don't encourage them to get in there and sleep, play, etc.

Many thanks for the advice. I think my peeps are just slow learners. Last night was the first night they went in like wind up toys and stayed in until morning. My husband who works 3-11 has been checking on them and they were on their roosts last night! Yeah for Lucy, Piper and Pepper. It seems they come out to greet the dogs, but other than that there is no rhyme or reason.

Now, I just have to get my newest little peeps grown up so they can go in the big girls house. Polly Polka Dot and Penelope are the new ones.

Thanks again,
GG
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom