Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SiggAndChicks, Sep 27, 2013.

1. SiggAndChicks

SiggAndChicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    Hi!

I'm new to BYC and actually new to chickens, too. We live in NH with our 100lb German Shepherd, Sigg. We've always wanted chickens and finally own a home with plenty of land to do it. We got 24 chicks in May of this year. We built a beautiful oversized coop and a 400sqft predator proof pen. They have an automatic coop door that opens at sunrise and closes at sunset. They are allowed to free range when I'm home, which is about 3-4 days a week. We have Silkies, Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, Barred Rocks, Ameracaunas, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and Golden Comets.

I recently allowed them to free range and left for about 2 hours and sadly, a sly little fox paid us a visit. He took 7 hens and badly injured 2 (buff orpington and a silkie). I'm a nurse so I tended to their wounds as best as I knew how and isolated them in a hospital pen in our basement. I didn't think they would make it, especially the silkie. They were in total shock. I added electrolytes to the water and did wound care everyday. I'm happy to report that 3 weeks later, they have been reintroduced to the flock and are doing awesome! I did have to give up 2 Australorps and a Wyandotte as they refused to accept the 2 injured (although completely healed) hens back into the flock. The more I watched them, the more I realized they were just sort of bullying everyone. A friend of mine took them and they are doing great now that they are low bird on the totem pole. It's nice to have harmony back in the flock.

I found BYC when I started researching chickens. Everything I googled, BYC had an answer. I learned a lot from BYC when I googled "how to reintroduce injured hens". Unfortunately, nothing I tried worked, hence giving up the 3 bullies.

Looking forward to learning so much from all the experts here!

2. micah O

micah O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    at the computer.
    Welcome to BYC[​IMG]Hope to see you round

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I love your profile pic!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us :)

5. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

6. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Welcome to BYC from West TN !

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] where was the German Shepherd when the fox came shopping?

9. SiggAndChicks

Sep 27, 2013
    Haha! Good question!! He was inside while I was away. I imagine he heard the ruckus and would have liked to tell me or my husband but we weren't home of course. I only say this because he has alerted us to other disturbances near the coop. He's very protective of his flock. I'm sure if he was out there, it would have never happened, but he can't be out there when we aren't home.
    The whole thing was absolutely my fault and I feel terrible. Believe me, it won't happen again...at least not because of my negligence.

10. SiggAndChicks

Sep 27, 2013
    Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by