Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KippenhokChick, Sep 9, 2014.

1. KippenhokChick

KippenhokChick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2014
    Atascadero, CA
    Hello all,
    I live in Atascadero, California. It is on the central coast right between LA and San Francisco. I am expecting my 5 pullets in 6 days, a lovely gift from a good friend that ended up with a few too many for her place. It is down to the wire in getting the coop and run ready for the girls. I have always been pretty handy so rather than buying a coop I figured I would save some money and build it from the ground up by myself. :lau Boy was I wrong!! Think I am almost $1000 in but am so happy with it and proud of myself for the accomplishment.

A couple pics of the coop so far...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another couple days to finish up the roosts, feeders and waterer (thanks to great BYC DIY ideas) and we are ready for them! :clap

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on your soon to be new flock! Wow, you did a lovely job on the coop! Yes, building materials are not cheap these days! But your birds will be worth it. If you plan on free ranging instead of keeping them in a run, you will need to lock them in the coop for several days so they know where home is. Otherwise, you will find them in the trees and down the street! So locking them in all day and not letting them out teaches them that this is home they will always return to their home each night and during the day for egg laying and such.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on! If you have any questions along the way, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG] Beautiful coop!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Great job on the coop. TwoCrows has given you some good advice on imprinting the coop as the chickens' home. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of pullets are you getting?

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Wow that was fast, and all done on just one(?) beer. Two Crows gave you some good advice.

8. KippenhokChick

KippenhokChick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2014
    Atascadero, CA
    Thanks all. Yes, I do have a run for them, it's about 7'x15' so they will have plenty of room to roam and be safe as well. Not sure of the breed at this point, just grateful for one thing I don't have to shell cash out for.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

CUTE coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by