Hello

KippenhokChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Hello all,
I live in Atascadero, California. It is on the central coast right between LA and San Francisco. I am expecting my 5 pullets in 6 days, a lovely gift from a good friend that ended up with a few too many for her place. It is down to the wire in getting the coop and run ready for the girls. I have always been pretty handy so rather than buying a coop I figured I would save some money and build it from the ground up by myself. :lau Boy was I wrong!! Think I am almost $1000 in but am so happy with it and proud of myself for the accomplishment.

A couple pics of the coop so far...

Another couple days to finish up the roosts, feeders and waterer (thanks to great BYC DIY ideas) and we are ready for them! :clap

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on your soon to be new flock! Wow, you did a lovely job on the coop! Yes, building materials are not cheap these days! But your birds will be worth it. If you plan on free ranging instead of keeping them in a run, you will need to lock them in the coop for several days so they know where home is. Otherwise, you will find them in the trees and down the street! So locking them in all day and not letting them out teaches them that this is home they will always return to their home each night and during the day for egg laying and such.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on! If you have any questions along the way, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Great job on the coop. TwoCrows has given you some good advice on imprinting the coop as the chickens' home. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of pullets are you getting?

Thanks all. Yes, I do have a run for them, it's about 7'x15' so they will have plenty of room to roam and be safe as well. Not sure of the breed at this point, just grateful for one thing I don't have to shell cash out for.

Back
Top Bottom