Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by llshine, Sep 10, 2014.

1. llshine

llshine Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    Grundy, Virginia

Hello, my name is Laurie, I'm am new back y c. I have Cochins, salmon favorelles, and a cinnamon queen rooster with a bunch of game hens. What a crop ha ha.i just got three salmon favorelle pullets, eight weeks old. I want to know how old do my pullets need to be before I out them with my six month old rooster.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I love salmon faverolles but, don't know the dynamics with a rooster in their midst. Most people seem to have roosters restricted where they live. Off the top of my head I would say not to put young pullets in with the roo until they are at point of lay. Otherwise he will be breeding them and damaging their feathers, and body when they couldn't possibly produce fertile eggs yet. If he breeds them you will have mixed chicks, if you incubate the eggs or let broody mamas do it for you.

If you intend to raise purebred faverolles, you need them to be with a Salmon faverolles ROOSTER ONLY. Though would still caution about having the girls mauled by a rooster before they are old enough to lay.

Just hang on - more knowledgeable responders should be showing up soon. But I do want to say Welcome to BYC, very glad you joined the flock.

3. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Welcome to BYC! This place is great!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You will need to keep the chicks away from the rooster until they are of laying age. A big rooster can hurt the little birds...they need to grow up a bit. And depending on just how large the roo is, you may need to keep him away till the pullets grow up even more than this.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and we do welcome you to our flock!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 It is best to wait until the pullets are at least at pol, before that they should be slowly introduced to each other, through wire seem to work best, ie dividing the coop into two sections or keeping the new/younger ones in a cage inside the coup for a couple of weeks to a month at least. They will get to know each other and sort of work out a pecking order before actually coming in contact with each other. Adding a rooster to a flock usually goes a lot faster than adding more hens, but it still may take awhile. There is a nice article in the Learning Center on integrating flocks you might like to check out, the part about actually combining them is after the quarantine section https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You've received good advice above.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by