Hello!!

CraftyLittleHen

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Maine
My Name is Sheri. We have a tiny flock of 3 chickens and they have just begun laying eggs. I believe at this point that my RIR is the only one laying so far but won't lay in the boxes. We have lowered the boxes to the floor, took out the straw and put in more shavings, put a fake egg in there... She lays on the floor in front of them... I don't know what else to do. Maybe someone has a suggestion.

Aside from that, all is well!! Great site!!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Sometimes, there is nothing you can do to discourage hens from laying in places other than the nest. I have a few hens that consistently lay on a shelf in their coop, despite them having nice clean nest boxes.

I would try putting more fake eggs in the nest, and see if that encourages her. Or, you could try making the area in front of the nest uncomfortable for her to lay on. Maybe clear away all of the bedding and have just bare floor there?

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Are these new layers? Sometimes it takes them a while to figure it all out. I recently added some Barred Rocks chicks to my flock this year and all of them would go sit in the nest box right up to the time the egg was ready to come out. They would scamper as fast as they could only to lay the egg in the run! LOL But eventually they figured it out.

Keep the boxes accessible. A fake egg in each box. Keep them clean and in a dark area of the coop too. Chickens like to feel like they are hiding their eggs. Maybe hang curtains over the front of the boxes. My birds love curtains and the privacy.

Give them time and eventually they will figure it out. Just make sure to always collect the eggs as quick as you can so they don't get broken and the birds start to play or eat them.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good advice above, hope your girls figure it out soon!

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll put the fake eggs back in, clear the floor on front of the boxes where she currently lays and talk to hubby about hanging curtains... Great ideas!!

I really appreciate the help!

My Name is Sheri. We have a tiny flock of 3 chickens and they have just begun laying eggs. I believe at this point that my RIR is the only one laying so far but won't lay in the boxes. We have lowered the boxes to the floor, took out the straw and put in more shavings, put a fake egg in there... She lays on the floor in front of them... I don't know what else to do. Maybe someone has a suggestion.

Aside from that, all is well!! Great site!!
welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined us.

I had only one floor layer..tried everything but never budged her spot, when I tried to block it, she just moved over and laid next to obstacle. Gave up and after about 4-6 months she just decided to use the nests. Some percentage are just floor layers early on and will discover the nests are more appropriate. But they really do prefer darker, private places. Curtains on nests, and make the floor area brighter may work.

Welcome to BYC, Sheri. Glad you decided to join our flock. The other members have given you some great suggestions regarding your RIR hen laying in the floor instead of the boxes, so I'll just say please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your RIR hen laying in the boxes.

Back
Top Bottom