Hello

Emzylou121

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 14, 2014
Hi,

Me and my Partner have decided we would like to make additions to our family in the form of Runner Ducks!! We have a large Garden and two small/medium size spring fed ponds.
Any information, advise on keeping Runner Ducks would be most greatlfully received.

Thanx Emma x

Hi,

Me and my Partner have decided we would like to make additions to our family in the form of Runner Ducks!! We have a large Garden and two small/medium size spring fed ponds.
Any information, advise on keeping Runner Ducks would be most greatlfully received.

Thanx Emma x
welcome-byc.gif
sorry, but i dont have any knowledge on Runner Ducks!! You can post in the duck area of BYC though!!!

Hi,

Thanx Emma x
Holderread's has written some good books on duck and other water fowl.- they include a section on runner ducks that is very complete. From personal experience, we have really enjoyed our runner ducks. They are very good egg layers and a lot of fun to watch. They have mostly been a little skittish - not usually the "sit on your lap" type pet. The drakes are very aggressive with the ducks - so it would be good to make sure you have at least 4 ducks for each drake. We had more ducks and still had to separate the drakes - then they become aggressive with each other. Our drake pen had some larger ducks also (Saxony) and the runner drakes chased them unmercifully.

That's great thank you, will defo look into that book! We was thinking of only having 3 to start so maybe just having females would be the best option!

We started with eleven female Runners. I was sad to lose two, one to unknown illness, one to egg yolk peritonitis. But the other nine are now five years old (in a couple of months).

They have changed my life and I love them.

They don't waddle, they run, they don't exactly quack, but they are vocal. The are friendly, sweet, adventurous, good layers, good foragers. Energetic. Did I mention they are brilliant?
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom