hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dunscott, Jan 4, 2015.

1. dunscott

dunscott New Egg

Jan 4, 2015
    hello there new to the site and just thought I'd introduce myself! I have had chooks free ranging in my garden for about 8 years now mostly ex batts my biggest flock was 8 but now I only have three!
    A black rock a light sussex and a little brown Heinz 57 variety! i have been a bit of a lurker but decided to take the plunge! I have a problem that I wondered if anyone could help with as I'm a bit lost!
    My little red chook whom I've had for about two months ( she came from an wildlife park and a large flock) I realised she had scaly leg mite quite badly when she arrived so I've treated her and my other girls, totally disinfected their house but now she seems to be moulting again which is weird as we are in Scotland and its freezing and she sounds hoarse ( i do know shes a chicken!) otherwise she seems ok eating fine and I have been giving her Verm - X to try and sort her out , her comb is red and upright but I worry I'm missing something as she looks pathetic! At the moment her eyes are clear but she now appears to have diahorrea!
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you in advance for your help!!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Lots of chickens molt in the middle of winter. I have a coop full of them and it has been brutally cold and snowy for weeks now! They molt when they molt! As for the diarrhea, this can be common with molting. They can lose their appetites, get cold, aggressive, shy, frustrated and such. Molting causes all kinds of hormonal changes.

Worming is always a good idea to do for your birds, but sometimes worming during a molt makes diarrhea worse. You might try some probiotics in the water or feed for a couple weeks, especially after worming.

But if you feel there really is something wrong with her, you might post this in our emergency section for more input on this....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Great to have you aboard and enjoy your flock!

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    You have already received experienced advice from TwoCrows.

[​IMG] Glad you decided to join us. Hope your hen does well.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

:) Glad you joined us! From Autumn Farm Orpingtons

5. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. If you do post on the emergencies thread, please do so with full details .

8. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. dunscott

dunscott New Egg

Jan 4, 2015
    Thanks to everyone for such a welcome this site is full of brilliant advice! Thanks Two Crows will give the probiotics a go!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by