Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nitamich50, Jan 15, 2015.

1. nitamich50

nitamich50 New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    Ventura Ca
    I am new to this group and and new to having chickens. I live in Southern California in town, my city allows us to have 3 chickens. Any suggestions on breeds would be greatly appreciated.. I am so excited to get started!!!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock. What do you expect from your chickens, eggs, meat, lawn decorations , pets etc? That would help narrow the field of what breeds may be best for you. Are you interested in large fowl, or bantams? And youngsters in the family?

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Which breed would be best for you depends on what you want in a chicken. If sheer egg production is your main priority, I would suggest Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. If you want a very docile breed that makes a potential lap pet, I would suggest getting one of the breeds that has a well deserved reputation for being friendly, calm, and gentle such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles. Of the breeds on this list, Australorps are the best layers, and Cochins are the poorest layers (although they are the best brooders and mothers). Murray McMurray has an excellent "chick selector" tool at https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chick_selector.html to help you determine which breed is best for you. Just be sure and click on "show more characteristics." Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

With only 3 and in the city, likely you are wanting layers and no roos.

Look for breeds that meet your needs and tolerate your weather and are available to you. Most breeds are cold hardy, heat is the issue and many tolerate it well. If you are starting with baby chicks look for a source that sexes them. Small mixed flocks of all girls get along well. It's loads of fun to raise babies, but some folks prefer pullets to expedite egg availability. Either way, you are in for exciting adventures.

Good luck with your selections.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. IMO Barred Rocks are your best all round breed. Black Stars are my second favorites.

7. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

8. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    Welcome to BYC

with a restriction to three I would buy egg layers not dual purpose.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Some good breeds for your climate would be Black Sex-Links, Red Sex-Links, Australorps,Plymouth Rocks, and Orpingtons. Depending on how hot it gets, Wyandottes (my personal favorite breed) might also be a good choice.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

I would personally recommend the Wyandotte breed, since in my experience, they have been gentle, beautiful, hardy egg layers. Other good breeds would include Australorps, Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Red or Black Sex-links, and Easter Eggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by