Hello :)

coldcazzie

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
Hello all :) I'm Caz, based in Yorkshire in the UK.
frow.gif

I've been reading for a while as I've been planning chickens for about the last 2 years!!
big_smile.png
thought I'd best join so that I can join in and ask various questions I have. I've held off getting chooks so far because we were planning on selling the house and didn't want to get started with chickens, only to move house not long after. Of course, it then took ages to find a buyer but we are, finally, moving house this week! Which means CHICKENS!
celebrate.gif

This is the section of our new garden which we've mentally allocated to a coop and run. It needs clearing (in fact, the whole garden needs some TLC as its been rather neglected), but it's a good sized space.

I already have a run, which measures 5' wide by 12' long, excellent quality - solid, sturdy wire mesh, roofed. I did buy a shed which I was originally going to convert into a coop, but I'm a bit wary of red mite, and we've been offered some stone so may build a stone coop instead... not sure yet. My original plan was to have the coop and covered run on the concrete base, but raised up on brick/breezeblock so that I can add substrate for them to scratch in (but it is impossible for foxes to dig in underneath), and then have another, uncovered run area which would include the grassed bit on the left and may or may not be shared with some rabbits which hubby is determined we need to have again :) Another possibility might actually be to convert the current run into the coop and then build a bigger, partially covered, run next to it... so many options!

We have a bit of a thing for black and white animals... almost all the pets my hubby and I have ever had have been black and white, and those that haven't either didn't come in that colour (corn snake) or were foisted upon us without much choice on our part (had a pet rat for a while before he went to spend his retirement years with my BIL). Currently we just have 2 cats, but we've also had guinea pigs, rabbits, other cats... all black and white, so my plan is to continue this with our chickens so I'm thinking along the lines of Light Sussex, White and Black Leghorns, perhaps Silver Laced Wyandottes, Silver Speckled Hamburgs... etc etc. Any suggestions on that front are very welcome
smile.png

We'll also be housing a guinea fowl hen called Arnold. She seems to be rather an anomaly as far as guinea fowl go as she's almost completely silent. She was raised with my friend's quails from being a couple of weeks old, so perhaps that's why? Obviously, a quail setup isn't really suitable for her long term so the plan is for her to come and live with our chickens when we get sorted.

Anyways, looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. X2 on WildWestChick's suggestion of Light Brahmas. The first breed I ever had (about 50 years ago) were Light Brahmas, and they were gentle giants. Other black and white breeds you might want to consider are Cuckoo Marans (in my personal opinion, their chocolate eggs are the prettiest in the chicken world), Columbian Rocks, Columbian Wyandottes, and Delawares. All of these breeds are cold hardy and good layers of large brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

I would definitely recommend Silver-Laced Wyandottes and Columbian Wyandottes as two good black and white varieties. I'm especially a fan of the Columbian color variety of Wyandotte. It isn't very common, but I think that it is beautiful, with the pure white body and lovely necklace of black.
smile.png
Here's a photo of my Columbian Wyandotte:

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

The other members have mentioned some excellent black and white breed choices. My personal favorite black/white breeds are Columbian Wyandotte, Light Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Silver Spangled Hamburgs, Light Brahmas, and Mottled Anconas.

Whatever chicken breed(s) you decide to get, good luck with them!

Thanks all!! What a lovely welcome!
love.gif

:) I've boggled my brain looking at every kind of black and white chicken that I can find!!
lol.png
I think the biggest factor is going to be what I can actually get my hands on ;) My friend raises quail and has offered to hatch eggs for me if I can't find any adult or POL but I'm not sure if I want to go down the route of sexing and then deciding what to do with the males. However, I've been stalking the local poultry pages and there's been almost no b&w birds coming up at all... so eggs may end up being the way we go. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks all!! What a lovely welcome!
love.gif

:) I've boggled my brain looking at every kind of black and white chicken that I can find!!
lol.png
I think the biggest factor is going to be what I can actually get my hands on ;) My friend raises quail and has offered to hatch eggs for me if I can't find any adult or POL but I'm not sure if I want to go down the route of sexing and then deciding what to do with the males. However, I've been stalking the local poultry pages and there's been almost no b&w birds coming up at all... so eggs may end up being the way we go. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

You're welcome. You can always purchase chicks via mail order. A number of hatcheries sell many of these breeds as pullets. Since most of them only guarantee 90% accuracy on sexing, you may still end up with a rooster in the order, but it's a lot easier to re-home one rooster than a batch of them. Most of the hatcheries that sell these breeds have minimum shipping orders but if you have the order form showing that you ordered pullets, you should be able to easily sell off the extras that you don't need and recoup your money.

Back
Top Bottom