Hello!

New chick momma

Hatching
May 17, 2015
My fiance and I just got our first 10 chicks a couple days ago, all are doing well except for one. This little one seems to be very sleepy and doesn't walk much. When it does walk it seems to be crouched down and not very steady. It's little behind seems to be covered in poop (pasty butt?). Would pasty butt make explain the other symptoms? I'm not sure how to help my little one, any ideas?

You might want to put pasty butt in the search box. It's fairly common in young chicks, they need to have their bottoms cleaned off so they will be able to poo. If they get all blocked they can end up dying. Some chicken folks believe if you put a little ACV(apple cider vinegar) in their water it helps. It cannot be used in a metal container. Others think it is from dehydration. Do you know if this chick is drinking/eating enough.? The small ones tend to get pushed away or bullied. After you clean and dry - put a bit of Vaseline there to help keep it from building up again.

I put her beak in the water and she drank. I have seen her drink a couple times and peck a little at the food. All the other chicks run around and have lots of energy but my little one seems to get left behind.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow
Just remember when you clean and dry the vent, to put a little dab of Vaseline on the vent, that will help keep it from happening again. Good luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom