Hellpp :(

4hLuvers

Chirping
14 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Bay Area CA
Today when i was feeding my flock of 5 I noticed our bantam japanese was having some problems eating the layena pellets. She would try to eat the pellets but about 5 minutes later would violently shake her head and whatever she ate would fly out. Then I noticed she would shake her head and a clear mucus flew out of her mouth. This happened a few times so we called the local expert and she suggested we use Terramycin to treat what seems to be an infection. Does this sound like a correct diagnosis? A few hours ago we put the bird in her own cage and have been keeping an eye on her. She seems to have perked up and after feeding her a handful of pellets she has so far kept them all down. Should i still give her a dose of the terramycin just in case? How should the dosage be altered to accomadate a bantam?

thanks!

4hLuvers

Last edited:
How is your girly doing?

I would not use the terramycin - but then I am not big on using meds "just cause".

If she was mine, I would put her in a single cage to watch her. It is possible and very likely that she had a pellet stuck in her throat and is able to work it out on her own OR that the pellet softened on its own and passes down.

I would water down her pellets for the next couple days - makes it easier for many birds to eat pellets (I feed pellets to my flock).

If she continues to shake her head, I would gently open her beak and take a look down her throat. Gapeworm might be a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom