Help… sick chick???

pilotswife

Chirping
Sep 10, 2017
Hey everyone, I am not new to chickens but I do have a chick with an issue I have not encountered before so I’m not quite sure what it needs. She is about four weeks old and for the last 4 to 5 days has just been standing with her feathers slightly fluffed out and sleeping more often than not. She does not engage with the other chicks and she’s barely eating and drinking. I’ve gotten her to take some electrolyte water and it’s not her favorite so she will peep and wiggle around during that but otherwise, she just stands there and sleeps. I have looked her over thoroughly several times and do not see anything obvious wrong on the outside. Any ideas what might be going on?

I finally separated her from the others last night because I was worried she might start getting picked on so she is inside the house with me where I can keep a close eye on her.

Thanks for any insight.

A chick that age may have coccidiosis with those symptoms. What are the poops like?I would start some Corid in the water, and it is safe for the other chicks, so that she can be back with them. Are all of your chickens the same age that are together? Be sure to keep the bedding very dry, fresh, stirred daily, and raise waterers to prevent spills. Corid dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder for 7 days. Stop any b vitamins during Corid since that can affect how it works.

Can you take a short clear video of this chick and how she's acting right now and upload it to YouTube?
Also what exactly have you been feeding?

A chick that age may have coccidiosis with those symptoms. What are the poops like?I would start some Corid in the water, and it is safe for the other chicks, so that she can be back with them. Are all of your chickens the same age that are together? Be sure to keep the bedding very dry, fresh, stirred daily, and raise waterers to prevent spills. Corid dosage is 10 ml (2 tsp) of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder for 7 days. Stop any b vitamins during Corid since that can affect how it works.
I’m not sure why I did not think of that. I just checked, the poops are runny and a little bit green. I will get some corid today. Thank you!

You can in addition give a drop or two of the undiluted Corid orally once or twice a day if you have the liquid Corid for a jump start.
I just gave her two drops. She seems so weak. I feel so bad I didn’t catch it sooner. Hopefully it will work quick…

Back
Top Bottom