HELP! 1 and now 2nd chicken front of chest sac squishy diarrhea ???

so cute! Is that a speckled sussex? that looks like my Susie Sussex! I don't think that mine look that swollen, but, definately looks like it is the same place! I hope they are OK. yours too. I will try to add the ACV tomorrow and how are yo doing the olive oil?

Quote:
Yes, she's a 10-week-old SS. She is SO sweet and loves to be in my lap. I sure hope I can pull her through. At first she didn't like the olive oil at all, so I tried to use a medicine syringe (no needle, of course) and get it down her. She refused! So I would just get some on my finger and put right under the end of her beak and her "lapping" instinct took over and I got a little down her. Now after 3 full days of no food....she scarfs it down. I'm not giving her much, though. Just a half tsp or so a couple of times a day. And then I'm massaging her crop. Tomorrow is yogurt, so we'll see how that goes. Keep you posted...you do the same. Martha

Quote:
Yes, she's a 10-week-old SS. She is SO sweet and loves to be in my lap. I sure hope I can pull her through. At first she didn't like the olive oil at all, so I tried to use a medicine syringe (no needle, of course) and get it down her. She refused! So I would just get some on my finger and put right under the end of her beak and her "lapping" instinct took over and I got a little down her. Now after 3 full days of no food....she scarfs it down. I'm not giving her much, though. Just a half tsp or so a couple of times a day. And then I'm massaging her crop. Tomorrow is yogurt, so we'll see how that goes. Keep you posted...you do the same. Martha

so you are keeping them separate and not feeding them?

Quote:

so you are keeping them separate and not feeding them?

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that I've put my chick in a large dog crate in our bedroom for the time being so I have control over what she's eating/drinking. Which up to now has been only water with ACV. You had mentioned that your chick's enlarged area was not where mine was. Is it up higher?

no I think it is the same area....it just isn't as sticking out I don't think. I know it is not where the breast bone is, but, if you touch the front of them, where I would consider the "chest", that is where it is....not on the neck and not underneath her.... I will have to go check again this am. I am still intrigued about the grass clippings....It is interesting that you mentioned that because we just started that and then this happens...hmm...... Can they die from it? Can it be fixed? have you heard?

The hen who was spitting out water may have an impacted crop. The crop is plugged. There are several uTube demonstrations on how to treat this. Sometimes it works.

The first hen you mentioned sounds like what has just appeared on one of my Marans front. It seems too low to be the crop. She seems healthy and doesn't want to be handled. It almost feels like an egg with no shell but it is in the wrong place. I wish I could her to bed to get better.

Back
Top Bottom