HELP!! 10 week sussex gasping

Chickens can have the respiratory disease in their bodies if they have been exposed at some point, becoming positive for MG or whatever, even from wild birds. The disease may lie dormant in their body for some time, and then if there is some type of stress, then poof, they get symptoms. Say, if you have a sick bird, but none of the others get sick. Well fast forward to next year during the coldest of winter, and then another one gets sick. Many get sick during molting time or during freezing weather. A long hot spell in summer can also be a stressful time.

Thank you for the explanation. Do I have to cull my whole flock? I hope not.

I am hoping she pulls thru. I called the vet to see if I can get her in, had to leave a message.

Here is an update this morning on her progress. I feel so bad for this little one. Last night we almost had to cull her, I didn’t know if she would make it. I checked on her multiple times last night. She seems to be eating and drinking on her own but only when we take her out. I am giving her poultry cell as well by dropper today for added vitamins.

Here are 9 other chicks she grew up with. I have them quarantined the there broody pen for now. I let them out at end of day as all my birds are free ranged on 1 acre or more.

Last edited:
Bad news.. another older chicken is showing symptoms.

The Sussex is not doing well. I am not sure she will make it thru thru the night.

I am so very sad and ar this point not sure what else to do

Sorry that she is worse, and that another is showing signs. I would make sure that all are taking enough fluids. If you lose any, I would send or take the body (kept cool) to your state poultry lab for a necropsy M-F. Here is a link for finding contact info:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Thank you for the info, pretty sure we will have the first casualty tonight. I hope not though. So I put the dead chicken in the refrigerator?

Sorry about your chicken. The body should be double wrapped in clean garbage bags and refrigerated, but not frozen. Contact the state vet and ask if they can give you a shipping label for UPS or Fedex overnight shipping which would help with cost. Or you may take the body in person.

Update;

She is still alive and was eating this morning. I saw a glimmer of hope. She is still wobbly and weakened while walking around. She ate some scrambled egg yesterday. She is hanging in there and such a fighter. Her crop was squishy and had air in it yesterday evening before bed. I massaged it and got the air out, kind of gurgley. She settled down for the night like a normal chicken at midnight with her head tucked into her feathers.

Going to try and get her to the vet today if they have an opening.

I gave her and 50% of the flock dewormer yesterday incase it was gapeworms.I gave safeguard on bread to the greedy ones, that part was easy. It's not that easy to orally give wormer to juvenile and broody chickens, I think I was wearing more of it than I gave. I tried at roost too.

Got the flock and Sussex on doxycycline 100mg until I can get the sussex to the vet.

Sorry about your chicken. The body should be double wrapped in clean garbage bags and refrigerated, but not frozen. Contact the state vet and ask if they can give you a shipping label for UPS or Fedex overnight shipping which would help with cost. Or you may take the body in person.

I think we posted at the same time. She made it thru the night.

Thank you for your kindness, I can't believe how stressful this is. I appreciate all your advice and wisdom as I learn and experience.

I did get a chance to look at that link in preperation to take action to save the rest of my flock. It looks like both facilities are about 2 hrs away from me either direction.

One more question. Is there a time line from the time the chicken passes to get it cold and preserve it?

The sussex was culled due to deteriorating condition. I wasn't sure how to cull her and preserve her to send in for pathology.

As of today the rest of the pullets are making a honking/hoarseness sort of sound. They have been doing this for a week now, maybe longer. None look or act ill or are doing the gaping as the sussex.

The vet did start a round of antibiotics but those are done. I didn't notice any improvement or deterioration while they were on it.

Symptoms:
Hoarseness
Honking sound

No eye issues
No coughing
No nasal issues
No sinus issues
No gaping
No fatigue (run around as normal)

Here is a video: sorry we live near a hwy so there is traffic noise.

Anyone else ever have there flock have anything like this? I am not sure if I should worry or this is a phase.

Back
Top Bottom