Help 19 month old laying eating shavings

circlemfarmny

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2019
I have an 18 month old barred rock that has decided to eat large pine shavings and she got a crop impaction not once but twice who she surgery done yes she had shavings long strands of grass and feed All my large breed chickens free range for a few hours everyday then in their pen their coops is 8’x5’ the pen is 8’ WC 16’ L they have 7 lb feeder in the coop 7lb feeder feed is kalmbach feeds 17% crumbles organic 20 % plume feathering the run and 3 ga waterer fresh wster daily also will give them mealworms and fresh vegetables and fruit So I’m not sure why and how to prevent this any suggestions so I can put her back im with her flock as she is now in a metal bottom cage

Long strands of grass are a likely culprit, are you sure she is eating the shavings, or picking them up and putt them on her? Try giving less treats, mealworms fruit/vegetables etc.

Yes her crop also had shaving in it when the veterinarian did surgery opened her up on both times and there was shavings and the 2nd time she ate them she was in a living world cage recovering from the first surgery which was a week prior to the 2nd one so she had. I access to grass not mushy food water and large shavings in her cage

Can you get rid of the shavings?
Right now she is in a wire bottom cage but she will be going back in with the other 9 hens so I’m wondering why all of a sudden she is doing this and what to do with her/ the coop she will b going back in when she has recovered it gets real cold here in NYS on the mountain ridge so sand won’t b good in the coops nor straw as I know for sure she and a few other hens will eat that as well as sand

Right now she is in a wire bottom cage but she will be going back in with the other 9 hens so I’m wondering why all of a sudden she is doing this and what to do with her/ the coop she will b going back in when she has recovered it gets real cold here in NYS on the mountain ridge so sand won’t b good in the coops nor straw as I know for sure she and a few other hens will eat that as well as sand
Pics of your setup?

Ok, can you tell me what you give them to eat, what they have access to etc?
Like I said they eat kalmbach feed crumbles & pellets I do give fruit and vegetables but as a treat not everyday or week mealworms as well just enough to call them ba k in from free ranging to secure them when I have to leave for work or elsewhere water they get rooster booster electrolytes with the vitamins in it coops cleaned daily wiped down and striped weekly run pens get cleaned daily after locked in coops at night I don’t let there feces stay in run pens I’m very clean and keep good bio security I bring fecal samples to vet at lest 5 times a yr and worm when or if the samples are positive and when they aren’t I still will do twice a yr just in case an egg wasn’t found in the sample

Back
Top Bottom