help? 2 chickens have suddenly died in our flock in the past month!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladygaga, Sep 18, 2011.

1. ladygaga

ladygaga New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    does anyone have any thoughts about our recent events with our little flock?
    we are really concerned and super sad. i answered the following questions in hopes to be specific enough so you may understand and can give any opinions on this. thank you so so much!

1) What type of bird , age and weight.

we have/had a bard rock, polish, buff orp, blue wyandotte and a brahma. they are 6 mos-2 years old

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

normal behavior, then lethargy, normal-runny poop, won't eat/drink and then dies within 6-8 hrs.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

it happens suddenly, our 7 month old brahma seemed 'slower' yesterday but otherwise fine. wass very lethargic, lying down in her coop this morning and now dead [​IMG]

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

we lost our 6 month old wyandotte 3 weeks ago, same deal.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

none at all

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

no idea. they stand on their water dispenser and often poop in it (gross) but i obviously change their water/wash the container when they do that.
    but i am sure they drink some of the yucky water before i see it. could that be it?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

regular chicken food, grit, oyster shells, water and bread/oatmeal. stops eating suddenly, then dies

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

little runny, but not very unusual

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

TLC, it happens so suddenly. both on sundays when the vet is not open.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

we cannot financially afford a vet but willing to do what we have to to prevent this again. very worried [​IMG]

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

straw/hay and wood shavings

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Treat for coccidiosis ASAP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by