HELP -2 Day Old Chick Question!- **PIC**

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyChristine

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
Belle Plaine, MN
Hi Everyone, I'm a first time chicken mommy and I have a 2 day old buff orpington chick that was really picky at her butt yesterday when I brought them home. I checked her and she was clean so I left her be. Well, today I noticed she had a little bit of poo on her butt and dried in the fuzz but her vent was open and not shut. I cleaned it all off and put some vegetable oil around the vent with a q-tip. When I did this, I noticed she had picked a lot of the hair off earlier. She is also pretty lethargic and sleepy compared to the rest of the chicks. They are running around like crazy and will plow her over and she's always sleepy. She will eat and drink. I have them on non-medicated starter feed and water with vitamins/electrolytes in it. They are in a brooder in our laundry room and the temp has been consistently 93-96 degrees. I attached a pic of what she looks like AFTER I cleaned her up and put vegetable oil on it (why it looks so shiny) . Any suggestions from all you experts? The others are not picking at her. Should I keep her with them or separate her?
hmm.png
Thanks in advance!!!

100_1429.jpg

Um...Ick! lol

I'm sorry she's not doing well! I'm a newbie too, but keeping her separate until she's acting normal sounds like a good idea to me. If it's a virus you don't want it spreading and that way the others won't be tempted to pick on her. I'm glad they haven't so far!

I hope all goes well!

***BUMP**** hopefully it will get some attention from the old hands.

You may want to post this in the emergencies, injuries and illness forum too.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom