help 2 day old chicks have red mites

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mrs parker, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Mrs parker

Mrs parker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2014
    brisbane Australia
    We had mites in the flock a few weeks back and treated with pestene powder. We separated a broody hen with 10 eggs a week last week and I have just noticed the 2 day old chicks have red mites on them..and I'm not sure how to treat them.
    We are In Australia and need to know if pestene is safe in baby's or of there is something else we can use .

Whilst they don't have heaps this is our first babies and I'm scared they might get sick

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! You do need to get rid of the mites ASAP. Apparently one treatment for mites failed to eliminate them, not a surprise. I have no experience with sulfur and rotenone for chickens; long ago we had rotenone available here, but haven't seen it in a long time. Here I would clean the bedding out and apply either carbaryl or permethrin powder to the coop/ bedding, and treat the birds with either product (wearing a REALLY GOOD face mask!) or treat the birds with Ivermectin. I sure wouldn't try to apply ivermectin to the babies, but powder in the bedding and on the broody should really help. Call the company who makes pestene, or talk to your poultry veterinarian, or someone at the agricultural station for advise about that product. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by