Help! 2 day old chicks having sprawled legs.

Aboddy2u

Chirping
Jun 27, 2019
Hi, I just recently hatched some baby bantam chicks and it seems they are getting sprawled legs but at the hip. Ive done everything suggested and it seems to make things worst. Its awful seeing them sufferer is there any suggestions that can help them stand besides the tape and Rubberband. Cause either I aint doing it right or theres a different problem other then sprawled legs. Please help

Hi, I just recently hatched some baby bantam chicks and it seems they are getting sprawled legs but at the hip. Ive done everything suggested and it seems to make things worst. Its awful seeing them sufferer is there any suggestions that can help them stand besides the tape and Rubberband. Cause either I aint doing it right or theres a different problem other then sprawled legs. Please help
Can you post some pictures of the chicks please. It will help others give you suggestions that may help. Try to get a few that highlight the hip area where it seems to be effected. Sorry about your new babies.

20200127_024819.jpg
20200127_024839.jpg

All he does is cry and it's stressing me out to the point of crying also please can someone help me

Can you post some pictures of the chicks please. It will help others give you suggestions that may help. Try to get a few that highlight the hip area where it seems to be effected. Sorry about your new babies.
I posted a few pics. Please help it's killing me to hear him cry

Have you tried giving some chick vitamins (including riboflavin) and getting him to eat and drink? Spraddle leg chicks need to have the legs brought together, about an inch and a half apart. Leave them on for 5 days, and help the chick stand and try to get used to them. I have used bandaids cut lengthwise, but cohesive bandage or vet wrap strips work best. The rubber bands that some use can get too tight. Here is some info on taping the legs:
https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html
1580135042189.png

Taping them has worked for us with mixed results. This may be a no brainer but make sure they have a good non-slip surface during there recovery. Remove them from other chicks so they don't get pummeled. Ive put them into a small box with a piece of old carpet as a bottom

I am sorry. I hatched a few quail last year and tried the hobble tips listed above. I did not have any success at all. I had a friend help me cull them. I think the quail legs were just too fragile and small. Was your chick born this way or did it slip in the brooder? Sometimes, culling is the best answer, instead of stressing yourself and trying to save them.

I am sorry. I hatched a few quail last year and tried the hobble tips listed above. I did not have any success at all. I had a friend help me cull them. I think the quail legs were just too fragile and small. Was your chick born this way or did it slip in the brooder? Sometimes, culling is the best answer, instead of stressing yourself and trying to save them.
Its seems my stubbornness paid off. With a lot of trial and errors I think I got it! Bandaid method works great. I took a bandaid and cut it in three strips. It works perfect. And the chick is doing great. Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom