Help.. 2 month old chick with leg weakness, wobbling and heavy breathing, panting

Can you feel the tendon out of place?

Usually slipped tendon is seen in much younger chicks ( at hatch to a couple of weeks old), but it's possible to see it in older birds.

If you can feel the tendon slipped out, you can try putting it back in and splinting the leg to see if it heals. Slipped tendon can be very difficult to correct though, so it may not work.

Culling is an option if you feel he's not improving or in pain or that his quality of life is non existent. Cervical dislocation would be the method I'd use for a bird this age.

I'm sorry.
Ty for all of your help.. I truly appreciate it! Yes we could feel the tendon, it wasn't until I compared his leg to one of his siblings I realized it was off. We had him inside for almost 2 weeks trying everything we could, but unfortunately he was getting worse everyday. Feel like if we could have figured it out sooner maybe there would have been a chance, but we were just too late. I had read the horror stories of slipped tendons and I just couldn't see making him suffer any longer, knowing it wasn't a guarantee that it could be corrected. We did make the decision to cull him yesterday evening. As tough as it was we felt it would have been selfish to put him through it any longer. 😔

Ty for all of your help.. I truly appreciate it! Yes we could feel the tendon, it wasn't until I compared his leg to one of his siblings I realized it was off. We had him inside for almost 2 weeks trying everything we could, but unfortunately he was getting worse everyday. Feel like if we could have figured it out sooner maybe there would have been a chance, but we were just too late. I had read the horror stories of slipped tendons and I just couldn't see making him suffer any longer, knowing it wasn't a guarantee that it could be corrected. We did make the decision to cull him yesterday evening. As tough as it was we felt it would have been selfish to put him through it any longer. 😔
Sorry to hear about the 'Lil Guy. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom