Help! 2 roosters became lame at different times all other birds ok

S31189

Hatching
Jul 29, 2021
Hello,
I've had this happen with 2 of my young roosters. Both were young (about 1 1/2 years old).
They started to limp and it progressively got worse to where they didn't use their leg. No visual injuries on the outside. I've tried vitamins & de-worming, nothing seemed to help. They have lost weight, but would eat... all my hens, ducks and guineas are ok. It has just been those 2 roosters. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be or also had this happen?
They are free range.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello,
I've had this happen with 2 of my young roosters. Both were young (about 1 1/2 years old).
They started to limp and it progressively got worse to where they didn't use their leg. No visual injuries on the outside. I've tried vitamins & de-worming, nothing seemed to help. They have lost weight, but would eat... all my hens, ducks and guineas are ok. It has just been those 2 roosters. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be or also had this happen? Thank you!
The first thing that come to mind is possibly mareks disease.

That's one of the things I was afraid of. It's in the one leg & he can lift it up and down from the hock area. Toes do not move though. He can flap his wings and move his head & neck ok. I lost the other one a couple years ago. A family member had gotten straight run chick's (I took 3 & 2 ended up being roosters) all my other birds seem ok & healthy.

That's one of the things I was afraid of. It's in the one leg & he can lift it up and down from the hock area. Toes do not move though. He can flap his wings and move his head & neck ok. I lost the other one a couple years ago. A family member had gotten straight run chick's (I took 3 & 2 ended up being roosters) all my other birds seem ok & healthy.
Well it could just be an injury that you cant see from the outside. I would check the leg the best you can for any signs of swelling. You may have done that already. I am in a similar situation with one of my brahma roos. About 3 days ago I noticed he was limping and it has gotten worse to where he mostly lays down all day. I have done a lot of research on mareks that's why it was my first thought. Fingers crossed for both of us that we are just dealing with a minor injury that will get better with TLC

I'm sorry to hear that! It's definitely sad. His comb is also pale. He is a Brahma as well. My other one was a rumpless araucana.

Marek’s doesn’t kill an entire flock at once. Just because the other chickens appear healthy doesn’t mean they couldn’t carry the disease. However, that’s still not a guarantee that your roosters have Marek’s.

I've had one young roo with mareks and it was quick, deteriorating each day and had gone within a few days. At present I've a roo with limp, been like it 3 weeks now, otherwise fit. Trying infant ibropofen on him.

Back
Top Bottom