Help! 2 week old duckling has a lump on it’s bottom

Ok. When I poke it, do I need to hold the needle in there so the air can come out?

9D468104-5E48-4D74-9E9C-85FD5D9711F6.jpeg

Gently prick a hole, take the needle (18 Gauge) out, and gently apply pressure to the area and you should hear the air hiss out. It'll probably refill back up, so you may need to repeat this a few times. If it keeps reflating back up to where it was to start with, you'll need to take her into a vet so they can perform surgery.

22 gauge since this little duck is so little.
Maybe I need to get a large needle. The air is removed with the smaller needle but it comes back when she breathes. I called 2 different vets and it’s $385 for the exam, bloodwork, and x-ray. That doesn’t include the hospitalization or surgery or meds. They told me if it doesn’t get fixed, she will basically suffocate. What are your thoughts on this?

Maybe I need to get a large needle. The air is removed with the smaller needle but it comes back when she breathes. I called 2 different vets and it’s $385 for the exam, bloodwork, and x-ray. That doesn’t include the hospitalization or surgery or meds. They told me if it doesn’t get fixed, she will basically suffocate. What are your thoughts on this?
Does anyone know what happens if it doesn’t get fixed? I have used the 18 gauge needle and I still can’t get the air to go all the way out.

Does anyone know what happens if it doesn’t get fixed? I have used the 18 gauge needle and I still can’t get the air to go all the way out.

Left untreated it may lead to Emphysema, and then there is some risk involved with the bird self-injuring the area since it's so swollen. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure of what else you can do besides air aspiration, I have read that its only a temporary fix, surgery is needed most of the time.

I will say that I'm not experienced with this at all, I know @casportpony has dealt with this so she may have some advice.

"Birds have a series of air sacs located internally. These are in the neck area (cervical air sacs), the chest (thoracic air sacs) and in the belly (abdominal air sacs). These areas are part of a bird’s breathing system and help the bird receive oxygen from the air in a highly efficient manner. They also help provide the lightness and buoyancy needed for flight. Occasionally, one of these air sacs may rupture (usually due to injury) and air will leak from the sac and accumulate under the bird’s skin. This condition is known as subcutaneous emphysema. This accumulation must be removed, or the air sac may tear even further.

WHAT TO DO

Clean the skin over the swelling with a disinfectant on a cotton ball. Take small scissors or a needle and make a tiny hole in the skin. This allows the air to escape. This may need to be done several times before the air is released. It has been shown that air sacs normally repair themselves within two weeks. However, if you see no improvement within a day or two, your avian veterinarian should see the bird. It is probably a good idea to have the bird seen anyway."

https://www.centerforanimalrehab.org/first-aid-and-your-pet-bird/

Back
Top Bottom