Help! 2 week old duckling has a lump on it’s bottom

About the mild stages of Podermatisis (bumblefoot), I'd first correct the underlying cause of the issue so it doesn't repeat itself, first thing I notice is how small your brooder is, I'm guessing you have to clean it A LOT, you probably can't keep up with the mess, and the majority of the time the ducklings are sitting in waste, correct me if I'm wrong. I would start soaking the leg in Epsom saltwater for a few days to loosen up the flaking a bit, and then start applying an antibacterial ointment to the area twice a day until it disappears.

About the mild stages of Podermatisis (bumblefoot), I'd first correct the underlying cause of the issue so it doesn't repeat itself, first thing I notice is how small your brooder is, I'm guessing you have to clean it A LOT, you probably can't keep up with the mess, and the majority of the time the ducklings are sitting in waste, correct me if I'm wrong. I would start soaking the leg in Epsom saltwater for a few days to loosen up the flaking a bit, and then start applying an antibacterial ointment to the area twice a day until it disappears.
They are in an 100 gallon stock tank. I clean the cage every other day. They like to play in the water more than anything, which is cleaned out daily (the clear paint tray). Can I just use Neosporin? How do I protect the area as it’s the bottom of the foot?

I see that. Cleaning the cage out every other day seems like a lot to most people, I have raised lots of ducklings, even when I have a large-sized kiddie pool I have to clean the brooder out twice a day to maintain cleanliness, I know there are lots of affecting factors, but if I were to clean every other day the brooder would be a thick inch layer of crap. Your birds are telling you externally that it's not being cleaned enough, I would suggest a bigger brooder, and cleaning it at LEAST once a day because treatment will prove useless if you don't.

Neosporin will be fine, the best way to protect the area is to keep the bedding clean, but if you feel it's going to be getting dirty too much you'll need to bandage the bottom of the foot with vet wrap. When doing the Epsom salt soaking, I may add some Chlorhexidine into the water to help kill some of the bacteria present on the skin.

I see that. Cleaning the cage out every other day seems like a lot to most people, I have raised lots of ducklings, even when I have a large-sized kiddie pool I have to clean the brooder out twice a day to maintain cleanliness, I know there are lots of affecting factors, but if I were to clean every other day the brooder would be a thick inch layer of crap. Your birds are telling you externally that it's not being cleaned enough, I would suggest a bigger brooder, and cleaning it at LEAST once a day because treatment will prove useless if you don't.

Neosporin will be fine, the best way to protect the area is to keep the bedding clean, but if you feel it's going to be getting dirty too much you'll need to bandage the bottom of the foot with vet wrap. When doing the Epsom salt soaking, I may add some Chlorhexidine into the water to help kill some of the bacteria present on the skin.
I’ll start on this tomorrow morning. For the air sac- I’m 2.5 hours away from the vets listed and work full time (and have 4 kids) so I haven’t a clue how I’d get there. Can I try the needle thing at home or should I just let it be since it isn’t effecting her? I read on some thread that it’s a 50/50 shot of the needle working vs letting it be. I also read that the tissue can’t heal until the air is removed.

That'd be great!

I'll have you wet down the swollen area with a warm cloth, and send another picture, you can try illuminating under the skin with flashlight surrounded in a dark area to make sure its dead space and not fluid. If it's a ruptured air sac, you'd want to poke a hole. Be very gentle with the duck when holding her.

They are in an 100 gallon stock tank. I clean the cage every other day. They like to play in the water more than anything, which is cleaned out daily (the clear paint tray). Can I just use Neosporin? How do I protect the area as it’s the bottom of the foot?
I use puppy pee pads for ease of cleaning, you can just roll up and throw away twice a day. Some here use them over shavings, I just use mine plain. Costco has the best deal I've found with a hundred for $16.

I poked the lump with a needle and could hear the air coming out. However, the lump is still there. Do I have to poke again?

I’m also putting Neosporin on her feet 2x a day and cleaning the cage more. I moved the heat lamp up to the top of the cage so they aren’t staying in one area as much.

Back
Top Bottom