Help 2 Weeks 5 day old chick has feathers falling off part of its neck.

AwardMutea

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2016
Hello,
A chick which hatched on 24th October and has been fine all along is startinh to worry me. I found it this morning with part of its neck having no feathers and looking sick. I dont know how to explain but Ive attached a picture.
I think its important to mention that they were two but the mother hen killed the other one on the same day it hatched I have no clue why but it seemed sickly and kept drooping its head. I thought it would be fine but I found it dead the next day. I really dont want to lose this other one too so I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks.@

Why are the feathers wet? Did you put something on them? If not the chick could be pulling at their own feathers. Also, make sure the heat temperature is not changing rapidly or too often that could be stressing your chick. However, I have never had this happen to my chicks so I can not for sure. If you have anymore descriptions on your chick please add more that would be helpful.

My chicks got pasty butt this year. Have you checked for poop on their butts. That could be another sign of stress.

@KiwiPomegranate Oh I had tried to wipe off the dirt on it with some water...Il check for pasty butt tomorrow, I have another question though, Another hen just had 3 other chics is it okey if I joined the one which is alone with the other 3 or will their mother be agressive towards it.
Thanks

It would probably be best for the chicks to be together. Do they share a mom? Also, I have only bought chicks pre-hatched, my chickens have never mothered any chicks so I'm not sure if it is best to keep them together. However, I do know that if the mother is aggressive in anyway you should keep her separate from the chicks. You do not want her to injure anymore chicks. Also, how long has your first chick been away from the mom?

KEEP YOUR CHICKS WARM:

Chicks are better off in groups so my guess is keep all the chicks together under a brooder lamp. If they are huddling they are cold, and if they are trying to hide from the lamp it is two hot. What is the temperature where you live? You want your chicks together so they can stay warm.

@KiwiPomegranate Ni they dont share a mom, three have one mum, the other one that this post is about has another mom...I was thinking to keep them together for company for the one chic but now that I think about it I guess its best if it stays with its mom...The first chick hasnt been away from its mon at all

Back
Top Bottom