HELP!! 28 degrees rain sleet and snow broody on eggs

Thanks Ozark, i have never tried to hatch eggs this early but , i have two little grandsons now, and thought it would be neat for Easter ....and also i have a co worker that is wanting to start her a little backyard flock, so will serve for two purposes

My friends banty went broody the end of november and sat on and hatched out almost a dozen chicks... I have no idea how they fit she is so small lol ... anyways there was almost 2 feet of snow on the ground and it was very cold and she only lost one baby after hatching..

awesome Shabby..........I am so relieved, came home from work and paced around should i bring them in or leave them alone, teehee i don't have a incubator, always just hatched chicks with broodys, btw i have 2 black cochin roosters , i will be keeping one and trying to find the other a home , there adorable but 5 roosters now amoung my chicken familys is WAY to many...this weekend i will have to place an ad.....but to say free im worried someone will want him to toss in the pot,
barnie.gif
they are both gorgeous , ill try to include a photo in this post
Janblkchickens.jpg
[/img]

I had a bantam hen hatch 8 of 8 chicks in December, and they were in a drafty old barn. I now have 3 broodies, same weather here. One of them is outside under the porch (her choice, not mine). I am not worried about her at all. They will keep the eggs very warm with the poofy butts.
smile.png

i know Shelly, lil bantams are the most doting and fierce hens i know of, last summer my success rate of hatching was 24 of the 26 ...total on 3 occasions( setting 8 eggs 3 times) only 2 did not hatch, ....and lost one
sad.png
it was hatching i had to go to work, came home it was raining and i had roofer guys here, that chick was gone, i with flashlight went over every blade of grass in the yard, even next day i searched for it.....was one of the first upsetting experieces with hatching chicks, had 8 uh teens lol i called them two diffrent nights racoons, pulled 2 of there heads off thru a dog kennel which i with zip ties put chicken wire around....*sigh* ...i set a coon trap with loaded 30-30 at front door , needless to say no prediator problems since i moved the coon family out of my space lol

Back
Top Bottom