Help 2yr old hen trouble walking.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sawilliams, Mar 10, 2017.

1. sawilliams

sawilliams Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Went out the check the girls she was sitting leaning to one side. She did get up but is walking at a low squat. Not standing fully... best I know she had not been injured unless she did something to herself. They have been in the coop and run all day until late now.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you thoroughly examined her legs and feet, including the bottoms? Check for black scabs on the feet, look for stones lodged in dimples in the foot pads, greenish bruising on the shanks, swelling of the feet or legs, and thorns or splinters.

Chances are you'll see the reason for her limping.

3. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Nothing, definitely not egg bound. No discoloration or sign of injury. She is favoring one side over the other but both legs appear weak

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you've ruled out leg and foot injuries, that leaves avian viruses or vitamin deficiencies.

Marek's is a common virus that affects the legs and causes lameness. Avian leukemias do, too.

But it's wise to try vitamins before you jump to conclusions it's a dreaded virus.

First try vitamin E (400) and selenium (25mg) If that's the cause, she should respond pretty quickly, within a week. If that doesn't work, try B complex. Same thing. it should work within a week or not at all.

Have you had any chickens die for mysterious reasons in the past? If the vitamin therapy doesn't work, you may be dealing with a contagious virus. If this hen should die, it's crucial you get a necropsy.

5. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal

I had one dead from the heat last summer,but that was also just before we discovered a tapeworm infestation so I had already ruled that one a sloved/unsolved.

I'm thinking mereks or avian flu, she doesn't seem any worse today but not really any better either. I need to have dad bring the bigger dog crate out to get her more room so she can try to move around. But other then that at this piont she hasn't eaten this morning and I can't tell if she has drank any water or if she's just knocking it out of the thing (her belly was pretty wet this morning). I did put electrolytes in her water last night.

6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Vitamin deficiencies can and do often cause these symptoms. I would cage her and start dosing her like the other poster said. You can use human vitamins if she won't drink. Vit E capsule, selenium (but I would quarter the pill, don't overdo that one) and B complex vitamin. Give her that daily for several days(just pop it in back of her beak, they will swallow it). Keep her on the vitamin water for a couple of weeks. If she isn't drinking you will have to tube some of the water down her daily at least 2x a day until she starts drinking. She should be getting at least a few ounces a day to keep her going. Dont' worry about eating yet, hydration is more important. I suggest searching "tubing" on this site to learn how it's done. Have to be careful so you don't drown them. It's not hard to do, once you get the tube down to the crop. Tube and a large syringe. Aquarium tubing works great for this. Comes in different diameters so you can get some that are not too large. Helps to have someone hold bird and birds head first time you do it. You can even do it on your own, by wrapping bird snug in towel(always leave her legs out or they can struggle out of it) and tucking her under your arm or between your legs.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  7. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Unfortunately, I probably won't go through with force feeding her. I'm going to her in a larger crate so she has room to try to move, but I think it will just be a matter of time

8. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    She's still alive today. It's been 24 hours plus since we found her. She can still get up if she has to, but only to a squat and only a little at time. She hasn't eaten or drank from what I can tell all day. If she's trying to stand she's really wobbly, she's staying laying down mostly now. I have her sitting to were all she would have to do is lower her head to get a drink of water. She did bite me today for messing with her to much again. I checked through my eggs I found 3 that might have been hers one possibily from 2-3 days ago and 2 from at least a week ago so she hasn't been laying regular this past week, I did check her again and there is not sign of an egg or egg bound. And other then being weak hey legs still look normal and her comb and waddles are normal color... justhe hoping right now that she decides she wants to try

9. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    She died last night...

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. There can be so many reasons for a chicken to suddenly become ill and die within a few days. I usually will do necropsy on mine to look for a cause (Those are free in your state by UC Davis.) When I open mine up, I will look inside the crop and gizzard, where I have seen 2 different birds with blockages. Worms can block the intestines and cause blockages elsewhere. So I look at the intestines, liver for color, and look at the abdominal contents for egg-like matter or bleeding. Taking pictures of your finding can help others to give opinions. A state vet can look for other illnesses and test for Mareks and other diseases. Here is a good link for getting a necropsy by a vet in CA: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by