Help! 3 week old chick passing blood!!!

lilifluff

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2016
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can any one help, one of my eight three week old Brahma chicks is passing blood. I've had a good look at them all(inspected them including the vent area) but no signs of obvious injuries. They all seem to be eating and drinking fine, they all look well. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

My guess would be coccidiosis. There are lots of posts here and you can look it up.

Treat with Corid (amprolium). Coccidiosis can take young chicks down very quickly, so starting treatment asap is important.
I would treat all of them, if one has it they've all been exposed. And Corid is very safe.

The correct dosing for Corid:
"The 9.6% Corid liquid dose I use is 10ml (2 teaspoons) per gallon for 5 days, then 2.5ml (1/2 teaspoon) per gallon for 7 days. Make fresh daily.

The 20% Corid powder dose I use is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7 days. Make fresh daily.

Medicated water must be their only source of water (no creeks, puddles ponds, etc.)"

You can also make a drench with the corid to give to an individual bird if it's very sick.
If you have liquid corid, just use a drop or two straight (0.02 ml per 100 grams of weight (one drop = ~0.02 ml)). For the powder you mix 1/2 tsp of powder in 10 ml of water. Dose the bird 0.07 ml of that mixture per 100 grams of weight of the bird, once a day for up to three days. The drench is used in addition to the treatment above, if neccessary.

Follow up treatment with vitamins (make sure it contains B1) and probiotics in the water. No vitamins until treatment is complete.

Back
Top Bottom