Help! 3 y/o Hen has severe skin and Feather issues!

maringirl5

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2023
I need help trying to figure out what is wrong with my hen. She is a Smokey Pearl we bought at Rural King. She and her sister are the only 2 hens that we have that has feather and skin issues. We trimmed their feathers when they were pullets twice and then as they grew older, their feathers never grew back on the wing we trimmed. Over time they started to look awful, eventually having bald spots that never healed. I've treated them with pure Aloe, antibiotic ointments, epsom salt baths and nothing seems to help. Today when we put them away in the coop she was on the perch and I noticed blood all over her back, upon further inspection I realized she had a broken blood feather on her wing. I brought her inside to give her an epsom salt bath and clean her up and noticed lesions on her sides and torso. We have over 30 chickens so I don't get to inspect them as frequently as I would like but I have tried to keep her and her sister separated in the pullet pen to help them heal and stay away from the roosters. I'm just afraid that they have some sort of hereditary disease because they are the only 2 with these issues...
tempImageKrksCH.jpg
tempImage08N7tu.jpg
tempImageX32Ifp.jpg
tempImagemok43J.jpg
tempImagegg8ex1.jpg

We trimmed their feathers when they were pullets twice and then as they grew older, their feathers never grew back on the wing we trimmed.
Trimmed feathers won't be replaced until they molt.

Bare wing tips and sparse back feathers are due to mating/treading and/or picking. The broken feathers and the places where there's still intact feather follicles in the skin will not be replaced until they molt.

Area on the keel/breast area looks to be the start of a breast blister. Check your roosting bars to see if they are relatively smooth or need to be sanded up a bit.

Skin abrasions and lesions on the sides can be due to mating mount or dismount from rooster nails/spurs. Spray a little Vetericyn on those abrasions to help them heal up.
Do check them really well for lice and mites.

Preen gland looks to be o.k.

How many roosters do you have? If these girls are timid, likely they will get ganged up on and overmated which is what this looks like. Even one cockerel can do a lot of damage in a short period of time.

Saddles may help protect the skin too. I've used them and the hens feathers will regrow in when wearing a saddle when it's time for those feathers to be replaced at molt.

Have you checked for mites?
What is their diet and space for how many birds?
No mites that I have seen, they have layer feed with access to oyster shell, they get cracked corn as a treat and I frequently grind their egg shells & mix with fruits and vegetables that I "season" with Oregano, basil, cinnamon and other healthy herbs. I do know that I have too many roosters and I am trying to revoke 2 of them but these girls had this issue before the new roosters were born so idk what it could be?

Trimmed feathers won't be replaced until they molt.

Bare wing tips and sparse back feathers are due to mating/treading and/or picking. The broken feathers and the places where there's still intact feather follicles in the skin will not be replaced until they molt.

Area on the keel/breast area looks to be the start of a breast blister. Check your roosting bars to see if they are relatively smooth or need to be sanded up a bit.

Skin abrasions and lesions on the sides can be due to mating mount or dismount from rooster nails/spurs. Spray a little Vetericyn on those abrasions to help them heal up.
Do check them really well for lice and mites.

Preen gland looks to be o.k.

How many roosters do you have? If these girls are timid, likely they will get ganged up on and overmated which is what this looks like. Even one cockerel can do a lot of damage in a short period of time.

Saddles may help protect the skin too. I've used them and the hens feathers will regrow in when wearing a saddle when it's time for those feathers to be replaced at molt.
They are almost 3 years old, they have molted several times and their feathers never grew back, got worse actually. I have 2 too many roosters and am in the process of rehoming them but these girls had this issue before they were even born. No lice or Mites visible and I made sure to check the rest of the flock this morning. Really not sure why just these 2 are having this issue

No mites that I have seen, they have layer feed with access to oyster shell, they get cracked corn as a treat and I frequently grind their egg shells & mix with fruits and vegetables that I "season" with Oregano, basil, cinnamon and other healthy herbs. I do know that I have too many roosters and I am trying to revoke 2 of them but these girls had this issue before the new roosters were born so idk what it could be?
What protein is the feed?
Cut out the herbs and corn, they aren't helping and can cause harm.
How big is your coop, for how many birds?

Back
Top Bottom