Help! 4.5 Month Old Ameraucanas -Update: All three were hens!

cluckcluck42

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Quebec
So I thought that two of my silver Ameraucanas (EE's) were roosters- now I am not so sure... the brown rooster you see in the pics is the exact same age as the three silvers (one I am positive is a hen).

What do you guys think? They haven't started getting their combs yet, no saddle feathers that I can see, scrawny little girly legs..... might I have lucked out or are they just slow to mature??? Also they have no green irridescence (spelling) to their tails like their dad and the brown rooster. Even a couple baby silvers I had that were three months old had the green sheen to them already.

Here is a picture of all of them, the chicken about to peck the brown roosters face is the one I think is female. The two next to her are the questionables.

42359_all_chickens_1.jpg

And one last final shot of their backsides. No saddle feathers that I can see?? See the brown roos nice and shiny feathers, he is a handsome lil devil. Could it be that silvers mature slower for some weird reason???

42359_boys_three12.jpg

Update:

All three of these silvers ended up being hens. That was pretty darn sweet! I was pretty certain they were boys, and in another thread I made when these hens were younger almost everyone that posted felt they were boys. Nope! These are all ladies, laying nice blue eggs.

Last edited:
The brown EE looks like a roo to me. For being the same age, he has an awfully big red cob compared to the rest. But I could be wrong.

PS: easy breed to sex: sex links
big_smile.png

Yes, I agree that the brown rooster is a rooster.
roll.png

They look very girly to me! My roo looked it by 7 weeks, had more comb then than your silvers do now. I don't see anything questionable!

NO are you guys serious? So then, out of 11, I only had three boys. Two were RIR crosses- no way!!! So you're sure they're not roosters!??!?! Dude! How lucky for me! I've already sold off three silver pullets and the RIR cross pullet, I was sure I only had the brown pullet and one silver one. I was even trying to get rid of the two "roosters" for free. They really did look like boys, I only got suspicious a few weeks ago when the brown rooster was so roosterish and the two silvers didn't change at all.

For real!? You guys are sure they look like girls? I mean- it just seems toooooo lucky. :O

clap.gif
Woo hoo!!

On the last pic I think the dark silver is male and the white one next to it look like it has some thin feathering on top of the tail roo too unless it is just the angle of the pic

Okay! Here was one of them at about two months

42359_chicks_047.jpg

And this is another shot of the same bird shortly after

42359_boy_1.jpg

And it was from these pics I was told he was a roo, and she LOOKED rooish, no? Maybe it's the lack of muff? Anyways I am so tickled pink that you all are sure they are girls. Very unexpected! Woo hoo!

Looking back, in one of the pictures the darker one does seem iffy. Can you do a face shot? I'd still lean pullet if it's not obviously roo at this age.

Back
Top Bottom