Help? 4 Wk Silkie w/ith stunted growth, watery eyes, & sleeping a lot. UPDTED: Added Video & PICS

WellReadReviews

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 20, 2012
Florida
PICS
Do the eyes look swollen to you?

VIDEO

BACKGROUND INFO

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Silkie Chick, about 4 weeks old. Not sure of the weight but "she" is definitely the smallest out of the three. It seems the other two have grown considerably but she's still a bit little.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lulu is eating and drinking normally but any movement at all seems to wear her out. She'll sleep standing, sometimes her butt in the air and her head resting on whatever is nearby. She'll fall asleep standing, really. While the other chicks have big bright eyes, she seems to "squint" more, and her eyes are a bit watery. The other chicks have been sort of bullying around. Nothing serious yet, but I am pretty sure that they know she is weaker because they'll push her out of the way. She is eating and drinking pretty normally. Her chirp seems clear and loud (not weak). She'll be active one minute and alert, and then its almost as if just moving wears her out and she sleeps. UPDATED 5/29: She is now shaking her head a lot, and earlier this morning my husband and I both witnessed her just standing there, elongating her neck towards the sky and gasping (but without sound.)

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I noticed the lack of weight gain a few days ago and that she seemed a little weaker than the others, but I thought it was just a normal pecking order. I would say the watery eyes and constant need for sleep, even standing up, in the past 72 hours.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
None. They are getting bigger, quite active at digging around for food hiding in their bedding, nice clear eyes. They also sleep together, sometimes away from her, sometimes not. But these two are always together.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I don't know. We just got her last week. She was 3 weeks old at the time? First chickens so I am learning.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Water and FRM Start 'N' Grow Crumbles: Medicated. I don't know if this is a good food or not. We are still researching the best diet for them. This is just what was available at Ace when we picked up supplies for them. :/ We did go to the Tractor Supply Store and got some Poultry Nutri-Drench and put that in her water. She also has eaten some mealworms, as well. (We hide them in the bedding for them to find.) We made a mash earlier of Vibrant Health Green Vibrance with organic apple juice. The ingredients of this green supplement are full of nutrient dense plant concentrates, like spirulina, wheat grass, spinach, etc. It also has pre and probiotics, antioxidents, immune support, etc. (http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-Healt...ef=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1338251061&sr=1-1)

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
It actually looks perfect, as far as poop goes. Brown log, formed, with a bit of white tip.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
We have separated Lulu from the flock. We were told that being picked on can make it harder for her to recover as it is stressful on her body. Plus we're not sure what is going on with her and wanted to limit exposure to the other birds, who at this time, seem to be healthy and happy.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
We would like to do it ourselves as we do not have much confidence in vets due from previous experiences.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
No wounds to picture.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
She was in a 92 quart tub lined with paper towel and then a few inches of pine flakes. It is long enough to get them out of the heat, need be. They have a heat lamp on one side, and the food and water on the other. She is now in a larger tub by herself, but same conditions.

Last edited:
Her eyes do look swollen. I am not sure what is going on, but it does appear to be some sort of infection. Is there a good general antibiotic that you can give to chickens? That would appear to be a good start. Hopefully someone will answer you soon (as you know, I am a bit perplexed with my issues as well). I did not see any mucus or hear sneezing, so this is good (at least as far as some of those other diseaes).

Thank you so much for responding. :)

I haven't seen any sneezes or weezing. I have seen some bubbles from her eyes but not a whole lot or often. We started her on 1/4cc of Tylan yesterday. I am not sure if I should do it 2x a day or not? But she has had two doses.

Sorry your little guy is sick :( I would remove the pine shavings incase she's having a reaction to them it's rare but it does happen. Do you think she might have swallowed some shavings? Tylan is great medicine if it's something a antibiotic will help. Once a day is good.
I would try to get her tested to see what your dealing with. Call your state agriculture department they might do the test for you from a swap or direct you to someone that will. Here's some dieases with symptoms to read through I hope it's none of these.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom