HELP!!!! 5 Hens laying and then BAM! No eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by #1Chickenfan, Apr 22, 2009.

1. #1Chickenfan

#1Chickenfan New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    My 5 hens were born last June '08 and started laying a total of 5 eggs over the winter. I had a light on for an additional few hours of light for a total of 14 hrs a day. Now into spring I'm only getting 1 egg every other day or every 2 days. Does anyone have an idea what's wrong. I'm in the process of making a outside pen so they can get fresh air, tomorrow that will be done. They all seem healthy so that isn't suspected. Please help!!!!

Thanks,

2. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i ran into this problem, and discovered they had gotten mites! two weeks after dusting and spraying all but one will lay again.

check the feed you may have gotten a miss-labeled bag?

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Maybe they are going through a mini molt or have found some place to hide their eggs.

4. xpecting

xpecting New Egg

Apr 23, 2009
    I need HELP!
    I have 4 lovely girls about 3 years old - 1 x Austalorp, 1 x Chinese Silky, and 2 x Isa Browns. All were laying well untill the end of last winter and then nothing! Occasionaly I have had some soft shelled eggs or shelless eggs and now which ever chicken is laying, she is not getting it in the nest!
    I have given shell grit, ag lime, changed their diet and wormed them and dusted them.

What else is there?

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I got 10 eggs yesterday.

only 2 today.

6. fowl weathered friend

fowl weathered friend Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    MAKE SURE THEY HAVE OYSTER SHELL/GRIT! Soft-shelled eggs can be a sign that hey are not getting enough calcium.

If there are no other outside facctors--sick, molting, mites, weather--then they may be going through a dryer period. If it's just a day-to-day issue then that seems to be pretty normal. Out of my small flock I can expect 2-3 eggs a day typically (not all hens lay every day--this is normal and healthy). Last week I had 6 in one day. Today only two so far. This does not mean anything is wrong with them.
    However, if you notice a drop in egg production all at once, this could be a sign that something's wrong.

Check for the common factors: is the feed clean, good quality and the right kind? How about their drinking water? Is it overly hot/cold? Could they have mites? How do their crops look/feel? Is the coop clean?
    Look carefully for signs of illness--there are many online resources for common signs of sickness in poultry--and quarantine/treat appropriately.

Remember that chickens are hardy but can take a while to bounce back. If there was a sudden cold snap last weekend, or it hit a 100 for the first time this year (like it did here in AZ), don't expect your chickens to be back to normal today. Same with illness or broodiness: they take a bit to get over it. If they are ill or focusing all of their energy on staying warm/cooling off, they won't lay many eggs. Eggs take work and expendable energy!

Check all your bases, and keep an eye on them. And check your yard: they may also be hiding nests from you--it is spring afterall.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    xpecting, they should not be getting ag lime; it's toxic to them.

#1chickenfan - it's possible your girls need a break. When you add artificial light, it changes their biology; they actually weren't intended to lay each day (with the exception of possibly the production breeds, but even THEY need a break now and then). They might simply be burned out. Check them for mites/lice, make sure they're getting layer feed, oyster shell, and grit all free choice, and plenty of fresh air & sunshine. THey'll reward you when they've had a break, i bet!

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  9. #1Chickenfan

#1Chickenfan New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    Well, today the hen's deceided to reward my family with 2 eggs! Thanks! [​IMG]

Also Thanks to all the BYCer's who cared enough to give me such good advice to have a health flock. [​IMG]

I just built a second coop this week and will be moving my new chicks into it once they are ready to get out of the brooder.

What is a good cure for mites? My brother has free range chickens and they love his wood ash pile! I assume they are doing a little self dusting!

Should I give them a little ash to dust in?

10. #1Chickenfan

#1Chickenfan New Egg

Apr 9, 2009
    It is possible that these chicken's need a break. All winter long they laid 4-5 eggs a day. Rarely did I get only 3 eggs a day. Even in -40 below I'd get eggs! I have to give my hens credit, they did a wonderful job off providing all the eggs my family needed!

5 girls, 1 wonderful wife, 6 white leghorns, chicks include: 4 silver-laced wyandotes, 4 brown leghorns, 4 production red, 2 gold star, 4 light brahmas, and 45 cornish X. 18 eggs in the incubator

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by