HELP! 7 week old with prolapsed vent

woostephclan

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 15, 2012
I have a 7 week old chick with vent prolapse. I followed the usual course of reinsertion and preparation H but it bulges back out every time she poops. Her appetite is waning and she is very tender around her hind end. Any suggestions?

Hi,

So awful for you and the chick - you can try to smother her prolapse with honey - it can help to shrink it back and it is has healing properties too - you will probably have to keep trying to reinsert the prolapse, it can take some time. I do bathe my chickens in warm water to not only clean them but help relax them too.

I have never had such a young one with a prolapse, I can only hope that somebody else here can help you further!

Best wishes

Suzie
fl.gif

Update on my chick: The prolapse is getting bigger and now it's bloody and looks infected. This is the first time we've had this happen, so I'm not sure what to do from here. Do any of you with more experience have any ideas? Is it best to try antibiotics and just keep trying, or am I causing her undue pain and suffering at this point. She is obviously in pain. Ugh...I think this would be easier if she wasn't my three year old's chick.

If she is suffering sometimes culling is the most humane options. Sorry :(. Possibly try the wrap and antibiotics first?

Update on my chick: The prolapse is getting bigger and now it's bloody and looks infected. This is the first time we've had this happen, so I'm not sure what to do from here. Do any of you with more experience have any ideas? Is it best to try antibiotics and just keep trying, or am I causing her undue pain and suffering at this point. She is obviously in pain. Ugh...I think this would be easier if she wasn't my three year old's chick.

I know this is hard advice, and I'm reluctant to suggest it, but ... the prolapse has continued for such a long period, and is worsening, with the additions of some internal tearing, and infection. Even under better circumstances? She'd be at higher risks of trouble and pain, with every egg she lays.

I believe, based on your good descriptions of the facts, that it's her time for a quick/clean end. I realize it's gonna be difficult to explain this to your child, but learning of death is just another (albeit very hard) part of living life ... I'm really, truly, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom