HELP a beginner builder, PLEASE! Nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ninjapoodles, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Can someone PLEASE help me with instructions for building the "typical" design for nesting boxes--say, a row of four? I have looked at all the pictures of them I can find, but I need to be able to do this by myself, and I am a serious rookie.

I need a list of the materials required to build the boxes, including measurements of lumber, so I can have it pre-sawed at the store.

Help? [​IMG]

2. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Are you looking for something fancy or just plan old box for laying. Im working on plans now (from a pic) of a 4 nest (stacked). With roof.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Check out this thread for an idea on nesting boxes that should be easier than building them. You can usually get the buckets for free from a deli, bakery, or a grocery store that has a deli or bakery. Just ask for the 5 gallon size. The 2-1/2 gallon size are probably too small for full-sized hens but should work for banties.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=117546

You still need a frame to put them on and fix them so they don't roll. A nail or screw into the support could work. If you use the lids cut in half to keep the nesting material and eggs from falling out, I'd provide a perch just in front of it to help them get in and out. I really like the idea of a 2x4 across the bottom to hold in the nesting material as it gives them something solid to land on.

4. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    When I built my coop I took a little longer than I expected and ran out of time for nest boxes. Then got busy and didn't get back to them until the girls started laying this past year. Well, I then needed something ASAP and didn't have much free time. So I went to good old Wally World and purchased kitty litter boxes with lids. Not necessarily the cheapest idea but they have worked like a charm. Every month we get them out of the coop and give them a good cleaning and replace the bedding. Just make sure you have a good amount of bedding to avoid tip over when the hen enters. I leave mine on the ground, but have thought of putting them on a shelf of some kind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by