Help a beginner decide!

Jaime918

Songster
Nov 27, 2021
Pahrump, Nevada
I'll be getting chicks this spring and I read lots of conflicting information between sites and even hatcheries. I'm looking for the best heat tolerant dual purpose chicken? We reside in SW Nevada so summers can get pretty hot. As a beginner I want them to stand the best chance possible. I want them mostly for eggs, but good for a meat bird if needed. I've read Easter Eggers suit this criteria? Any suggestions would be amazing. TIA!

My barred rocks aren’t a fan of heat. They’re visibly showing that it’s hot mid 80’s. Over 100 they keg up in the rabbitry under the misters.

My RIR’s are not much better.

Delewares were best so far. They were ok to mid 90’s before panting. 105-108 before diving into deep shade. Took over 110 for them to voluntarily get misted on.

My barred rocks aren’t a fan of heat. They’re visibly showing that it’s hot mid 80’s. Over 100 they keg up in the rabbitry under the misters.

My RIR’s are not much better.

Delewares were best so far. They were ok to mid 90’s before panting. 105-108 before diving into deep shade. Took over 110 for them to voluntarily get misted on.
Thank you. I was originally looking at Barred Rocks, but read they aren't fans of confinement and I can't allow free range due to coyotes, ravens, hawks and eagles all living nearby. So I didn't want them in a setting they wouldn't be okay with. I don't believe I have looked into the Delawares, I'll make a note to do so. :)

Back
Top Bottom