Help a beginner decide!

Thank you. Everyone is so helpful and insightful. It's amazing. I love it. I'll definitely look into the locations of the hatcheries I look at. I actually discovered Domoniques last night. I loved the look of the Barred Rock, but not fans of confinement and then saw the Domoniques and their temperament all around seems like it would be a better fit for my setup and the heat.

My Ideal Dominiques are lovely birds. They're still pullets who have only been laying for a month so this may improve, but I'm disappointed in the size of their eggs -- solid mediums, not large.

Temperament-wise, they're peaceful in the flock and neither flighty nor especially docile.

I live in Texas and it gets HOT, so I recommend Welsummers, EEs, RIRs or New Hampshire’s, Bielefelders, and many other breeds that I have. I recommend McMurray Hatchery or Ideal Poultry if you want to go through a hatchery. :)
Thank you! I appreciate the recommendations! I don't believe I've seen Ideal Poultrys site. I have been glancing at McMurray and Cackle I believe it is called.

My Ideal Dominiques are lovely birds. They're still pullets who have only been laying for a month so this may improve, but I'm disappointed in the size of their eggs -- solid mediums, not large.

Temperament-wise, they're peaceful in the flock and neither flighty nor especially docile.
Thank you for this info. I really appreciate it. Great to know.

Back
Top Bottom