Help a girl out!

Hello! So I have a bit of a situation. My neighbors have once again got chicks, who will inevitably die of neglect. All of their past flocks have died either from starvation or predators, and I can’t sit back and watch this continue. I really want to turn them in for animal neglect, but my only hesitation is that im not 100% sure if chickens are legal in my area, and that they could retaliate by saying I have chickens as well. I can get proof once they cram them in their joke of a coop, but even so I’m not sure if anything could be done since they are just chickens. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice of how to handle this would be very much appreciated! I’m tired of watching this cycle keep repeating itself! 💔 I live on the MS Gulf Coast, if anyone can help me find out the chicken ordinance, I would be so grateful. I want to help those poor chicks, but don’t want to get burned either.

If you are not 100% sure they are absolutely neglected…you should not involve the authorities. Can you talk to the neighbors?

Predators: most on BYC that free range feel that their chickens are 100% happy free ranging until the few seconds of terror being eaten alive. And that the predator is just doing it’s predator thing, and the chickens entered the whole cycle of life thing. Those BYC keepers that continue to free range have either decided to put up some kind of deterrent barrier, or accept losses, so plan for replacements accordingly. Those free-ranging BYCers that don’t find predator losses acceptable then usually go on to an enclosed run situation. It is unlikely your neighbors are buying and raising chickens with the intent of having predators kill then off. Are they financially unable to provide a better situation? Are they physically, or skillfully unable to create/build a better situation?

My spouse grew up in the south. They had chickens. They did minimal care, the chickens free ranged and generally lived to tell the tale and laid eggs. In the south, you have a much longer season of fresh grazing and bugs for the chickens, no real cold to worry about, and really just need to provide some general roosting protection from the wind and rain.

You could always take the chickens one by one from their area and add them to your flock and hope they don't notice your flock growing.

Maybe they'd think it's just predators...

Back
Top Bottom