Help a newbie-what incubator is best?

chickenlisa

Invincible Summer
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Hi- I've bought day old chicks for years-and raised them to be old biddies and meanie old Roos....only let 1 broody set once and she only hatched 1 chick that she let live. I'd like to buy an incubator (not a big cabinet one and not one that costs alot of $) that will be relatively easy to use, understand, and that has a good reputation for successful hatches (assuming all is else is done right.) I looked on Ebay but am so confused...what all will I need to buy with it, or is there someplace that sells it "all in one?" What I need is Incubating for Dummies....lol
thanks anyone.
Lisa

well first off how much are you lookin to spend...give me a price range. and please dont give in to those stupid little dome chick bators they are more of a headache then they are worth trust me i am going through that right now.

Hovabators are a good cheapy brand. I had a 1602N and loved it but I upgraded to a brower top hatch. I will be doing my final upgrade this year. a Rcom 20 pro.

I heard alot of people raving about the 1588 genesis from GQF who makes the hovabator.

Forgot to add that the brower top hatch comes standard with a turner and fan and I dont have any problems with it. I have had good hatches so far and will keep it as a hatcher when I get my new incubator

Last edited:
My incubator of choice is the Hova bator model 1588 "Genesis" It's a preset incubator and very easy to use. I got mine from Cutler Supply for about $125 including shipping ( they also sell on ebay ). You can spend an extra $40 and get an automatic egg turner or turn them yourself by hand. ( a good way is to put them pointy end down in an egg carton and tilt the carton from side to side 3 or more times a day )

You'll find a lot of great posts on here about incubating eggs. Oh and you'll also need a good thermometer/hygrometer so you can measure humidity. If you get the Genesis the temp is preset so nothing to worry about there. Walmart has thermometers/hygrometers for around $13. Accurite is a good brand.

Lisa,
No need to suffer through this. The majority of hatchers on the forum seem to all agree that the Hovabator 1588 is the only way to go. Top of the line. Of course you will want a turner as well. Many of them have as many as 3 of the 1588's and would probably like to have more.
The link below is direct to the manufacture. With the puchase you also get mfg. technical support and parts availability.

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_listItems.asp?idCategory=34

Yep, they got me too. Mine is due to arrive any minute.
old.gif

Quote:
Be very clear.

The Hovabator Genesis is the *Top of the Line* onlt for the cheap styrofoan incubators.

Many people here swear by them, and to their credit get some very good results.

However, they are *Top of the bottom of the Line*, actually. The biggest plus is the decent results at very modest cost.

There are better, more accurate and easier to use incubators out there, but they cost at least twice as much as the Hovabator.

You pays yer money, and makes yer choice.

twigg,

would you give us some other options please? I'm considering the Genesis... I'm not really comfy with a styrofoam incubator though.

thanks

Anthea

I'm responding to this thread solely because I am very interested in all the answers and I have no idea how to mark a thread to find it later unless I actually post in it so it comes up under my own threads.

Sorry, I hope this is Ok.

With the brower it is dishwasher safe and made of plastic. only downside is the motor and light that flashes to let you knw the heat is on. There is brinsea incubators but they are also pricey. If you go on ebay the lyon TX-7 is pretty cool and everything is on the outside so you dont even have to touch the eggs or open the bator.

Back
Top Bottom