HELP! Aagggh I opened an egg Mama had abandoned but it's still alive!!

Lolliegee

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Cottage Grove, OR
I thought it had died...it was the last of the eggs. I even candled it before I decided to open it...there was no movement. I still opened it very carefully on the air cell end and lo and behold, it started moving very tiny movements...Like it had possibly started suffocating. I noticed the shell was very tough...not like the other ones, maybe that's why it hadn't been able to break through. Now, it's not trying at all to get out...What do I do????? Do I help it the rest of the way? Or put it under a lamp and hope for the best??? Acckk

Here's two pics I took. I'm keeping it warm with body heat right now...Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

GoldiesFirstBrood015.jpg

GoldiesFirstBrood016.jpg

I want to help keep this at the top! I have never incubated eggs, but I do know that humidity is important. I think you are supposed to wrap it in a damp paper towel and keep it warm so the membrane doesn't "shrink wrap" the chick.

Good luck!

Shelly

I hope somebody gives you a better answer than mine but I would keep it warm and moisten the membrane so that is it easier to get through there. You can slowly pick the shell off but the first sign of blood you need to stop.

Some people would let nature take its course, that is probably best but I would have to help it and hope for the best.

momma's chickens :

I hope somebody gives you a better answer than mine but I would keep it warm and moisten the membrane so that is it easier to get through there. You can slowly pick the shell off but the first sign of blood you need to stop.

Some people would let nature take its course, that is probably best but I would have to help it and hope for the best.

I agree....you can alway's put it back under the momma and see what happens to.....if she is still sitting. When did the other's hatch? If they just hatched today or yesterday it is still possible for momma to take care of it. In every hatch there are eggs that are early to hatch and late to hatch. I have never had chicks hatch all on the same day.​

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice so far, I'm not sure whether or not it has the energy to make it out on it's own. I really think it was starting to suffocate because the shell was so thick. Any more advice???
barnie.gif

Quote:
They started hatching on Sunday, the last one hatched sometime in the middle of last night. The hen has gotten off of the nest though. If it survives I do plan to put it back under her with the rest of them, I just don't know what to do right now.

Could be it's not warm enough at the moment. Also definitely need humidity. I didn't see any blood, and that is a good sign that is ready to hatch, however if you help it out all the way, it could be a very weak chick. I say keep it warm. Keep it in a humidity will help, a warm washcloth or something like that. When it gets to the temp is should be it may get more energetic and hopefully will hatch more on it's own. Good luck
fl.gif

ETA monitor the wet cloth though, because they get cold quickly.

Last edited:
Here is what I do step by step...

Get a warm washclothes and put it on the membrane and let it get soft for a little bit. Then I would start to slowly pick the shell of the egg, bit by bit, until I saw blood, if no blood I would get about half the shell off. Then with the membrane soft and the shell off I would put in back under the warm light and see if it can make it out. You can help it all the way out and I have before but like I said if there is blood - STOP!

After it is out keep it warm and I think I would even dribble some a little sugar water in its beak even though it can live on its yolk sac for a couple of days.

I wish you the best, I am not sure my answer is the correct one, I am not that experienced at this, hope it helps! (((HUGS)))!

Work on peeling the membrane and shell back a little at a time.

There is a point of time where the blood vessels in the membrane start colapsing as the chick absorbs the yolk.

You can work your way down toward the yolk and see how much is still there.

As long as the blood isn't pumping through the membrane you should be okay. I've even had chicks survive that did not absorb the entire yolk.

Back
Top Bottom