** HELP** --> Abscess on duck's throat?

ducks_rcool329

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Black Forest, Colorado
So today I noticed something strange on my 3 year old female mallard. She has a medium sized bulge under her mouth. Its soft. Its not in her moth, or in her throat (?). Earlier this week I had my flock tested by the State for Avian influenza, and they all tested negative. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? She isn't acting any different, and there are no other notable health problems. I currently have her quarantined from the rest of the flock.
Thanks!
87188_img_0579.jpg

87188_img_0580.jpg

87188_img_0581.jpg

87188_img_0583.jpg

Last edited:
It could have been caused by something like a grass seed getting stuck in under her tounge. If it has worked its way into the flesh it could cause an infection. If the lump is soft it could just be fluid filled- but you need to be very wary of her getting any infection or it will become very difficult to treat. In ducks the "pus" of an infection is not fluid- it is a more solid type consistency almost like cottage cheese- so you cannot drain an infected area. In some cases an infection will have to be lanced and the area scraped to remove all infected tissue. Also something to watch for is that it doesnt grow and actually effect her windpipe or ability to swallow food. If it were my bird- I would make an appointment to take her to the vet as soon as possible, I know that it isnt always possible... But for the right treatment a vet really should see her.

Back
Top Bottom