Help! Acutely Lethargic, ill-appearing hen making Strange noise

I admit I don’t have much to compare to as typically it’s my son picking up the chickens but I don’t feel any abnormal bloating in her abdomen and nothing in her neck.
I don’t know when her last egg was - can’t tell who lays what with 10 hens in the 5 nesting boxes.
Coop is well ventilated with two windows (one open currently) and two upper air vents.

Welcome to BYC!
So sorry about your hen.

Do you know when her last egg was, if she's laying?
Is there any bloating of the abdomen? (Abdomen is located underneath the vent behind the legs.)
Can you feel anything from the outside that could be stuck in her throat?
Is her mouth completely normal and clear of anything? No lesions, white patches, ect...?
Could she have gotten into something bad?
How does your coop look? Do you have enough ventilation in it?
Mouth looks complete normal. Can’t think of anything she could have gotten into per se. They free range on our 4 acre property.

Well, that was fast. Sugar Cookie is no longer with us.:( I’m headed to TSC right now to get some febendazole to hopefully keep the rest of the flock safe.

Well, that was fast. Sugar Cookie is no longer with us.:( I’m headed to TSC right now to get some febendazole to hopefully keep the rest of the flock safe.
Oh no, I'm so so sorry. :hugs
If you feel up to it, you could refrigerate her body and take it in for a necropsy to find out what exactly happened. Since we're not sure what caused the gasping, I think it would be a good idea to have a necropsy done.

Gapeworm is pretty rare, so it may not be that. Won't hurt to treat for worms though.
Do you know the dosage for the fenbendazole?

Looks a lot like gapeworm to me..
I lost over half my flock to it coz I thought it was respiratory… symptoms were EXACTLY like that…
I used Parazole (Fenbendazole) for cats and dogs.. cheaper and it worked fine…
Quick, or she’ll suffocate on the worms and it’s a horrible way for them to go…
Hope she recovers! I’ll say a prayer for her 🙏🏻🙏🏻
Oh no, I'm so so sorry. :hugs
If you feel up to it, you could refrigerate her body and take it in for a necropsy to find out what exactly happened. Since we're not sure what caused the gasping, I think it would be a good idea to have a necropsy done.

Gapeworm is pretty rare, so it may not be that. Won't hurt to treat for worms though.
Do you know the dosage for the fenbendazole?
I do not- I’ve been looking online and having a hard time finding a clear answer. I bought the canine powder version. Suggestions?

And where would I take a bird for that?

I do not- I’ve been looking online and having a hard time finding a clear answer. I bought the canine powder version. Suggestions?

And yes, though it’s a guess, I figured risk/reward it wouldn’t be likely to hurt anything to try the dewormer, so as to avoid a complete decimation if possible! I couldn’t bear to see how sad my kids would be (ages 2,3 and 6🥺). She sure did fit the description, though, and didn’t seem to have any of the other “respiratory symptoms” you read about. I could have definitely been better about keeping up on their coop cleanings this summer.

I'm not sure the dosage for that, @Wyorp Rock, @Eggcessive, or @azygous should know though.
Most people use SafeGaurd goat dewormer liquid or the equine paste.
Your state lab I believe, the people I tagged should be able to help you find one too if you do want to send her in for a necropsy.

And yes, though it’s a guess, I figured risk/reward it wouldn’t be likely to hurt anything to try the dewormer, so as to avoid a complete decimation if possible! I couldn’t bear to see how sad my kids would be (ages 2,3 and 6🥺). She sure did fit the description, though, and didn’t seem to have any of the other “respiratory symptoms” you read about. I could have definitely been better about keeping up on their coop cleanings this summer.
I think it would be good to deworm, it won't hurt them. Better to be safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom