Help! Acutely Lethargic, ill-appearing hen making Strange noise

Nmness

Hatching
Sep 27, 2023
~6 month old unknown breed hen
nothing apparently abnormal until yesterday when she began making this strange noise. Has not left the coop last night or today, lethargic. All other hens in normal health. Unsure if any abnormal poop. No abnormal mass in crop area, albeit i am very new to chickens, and had to Google what that was after reading threads today. video link below. With seemingly every breath she is stretching her neck out and making a pathetic tiny squawk. She does not seem well :( how can I help her??

Last edited:
I’m sorry for your sweet hen. She certainly looks like she is struggling to breathe. Does she have any other symptoms that might suggest a respiratory infection perhaps? Are you able to find a vet locally? Have you checked inside her throat just in case something is stuck?

I wish I had more to suggest. It’s horrible when they are having such difficulties.

I’m sorry for your sweet hen. She certainly looks like she is struggling to breathe. Does she have any other symptoms that might suggest a respiratory infection perhaps? Are you able to find a vet locally? Have you checked inside her throat just in case something is stuck?

I wish I had more to suggest. It’s horrible when they are having such difficulties.
I tried to look with a flashlight when her beak is open and I don’t see anything. I don’t know what other “symptoms” to even look for. I gave her some water in a syringe but I don’t want to make her aspirate and don’t even know how to best do that or how much to give. I’m a physician assistant in real life and could help a sick human with almost anything but oh how helpless I feel with this!

Did you check if she's eggbound?
Not sure exactly how to “check” for that per se but seems different from what I read on that. The lethargy is quite pronounced- I e she doesn’t even flinch at me picking her up and won’t even really stand on her own. Hasn’t moved since I placed her in a box in the garage two hours ago.

Not sure exactly how to “check” for that per se but seems different from what I read on that. The lethargy is quite pronounced- I e she doesn’t even flinch at me picking her up and won’t even really stand on her own. Hasn’t moved since I placed her in a box in the garage two hours ago.
Often you will be able to see an egg stuck in the vent.
If she has lethargy and her comb is turning purple (which it looks like it might be) she might have a respiratory infection. This site has a list of symptoms and possible diseases.
https://backyardpoultry.iamcountrys...n chickens or a mechanical airway obstruction.

Welcome to BYC!
So sorry about your hen.

Do you know when her last egg was, if she's laying?
Is there any bloating of the abdomen? (Abdomen is located underneath the vent behind the legs.)
Can you feel anything from the outside that could be stuck in her throat?
Is her mouth completely normal and clear of anything? No lesions, white patches, ect...?
Could she have gotten into something bad?
How does your coop look? Do you have enough ventilation in it?

Often you will be able to see an egg stuck in the vent.
If she has lethargy and her comb is turning purple (which it looks like it might be) she might have a respiratory infection. This site has a list of symptoms and possible diseases.
https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/feed-health/identifying-treating-respiratory-infections-in-chickens/#:~:text=Gasping is a noticeable behavior because chickens typically,infection in chickens or a mechanical airway obstruction.
Definitely seems like gasping. Now what to do about it?

Welcome to BYC!
So sorry about your hen.

Do you know when her last egg was, if she's laying?
Is there any bloating of the abdomen? (Abdomen is located underneath the vent behind the legs.)
Can you feel anything from the outside that could be stuck in her throat?
Is her mouth completely normal and clear of anything? No lesions, white patches, ect...?
Could she have gotten into something bad?
How does your coop look? Do you have enough ventilation in it?
Definitely seems like gasping. Now what to do about it?
And no visible egg

Looks a lot like gapeworm to me..
I lost over half my flock to it coz I thought it was respiratory… symptoms were EXACTLY like that…
I used Parazole (Fenbendazole) for cats and dogs.. cheaper and it worked fine…
Quick, or she’ll suffocate on the worms and it’s a horrible way for them to go…
Hope she recovers! I’ll say a prayer for her 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Back
Top Bottom