help ...adding to a flock

tielsflyhigh

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
I currently have 4 pullets ( 2 wyandottes, a red star and one barred rock) and I like to add 2 more ...

I have the chance of getting some day one chicks next month and by the time they would be ready for our outdoor run my older chicks would be already 3 months old...
I know how agressive chickens can get- how is your experience with younger pullets around 3-4 months - do they still tend to accept newcomers ?
I would really love to have those chicks ( faverolles ) but don't want to risk too much either...

Otherwise I would rather like to try to find pullets close to their age right now.

So far my ladies seem to get along really well ...

I wanted to respond before your post fell too far back...have you tried using the "search" feature for BYC? There are many, many posts written on this topic to browse through. Being that folks get into wanting more and more chicks/chickens, it is a very common concern, with some varying suggestions to try, depending largely on your own flock's habits and collective temperament.

We will be blending two small flocks of chicks soon into their new coop, (if it ever stops raining and we can manage to turn off the hockey, lol) and I'm paying attention to the posts about that too.

Have fun! New chicks are v*e*r*y enticing, lol!!!

I had that same question. Usually the answer is CLOSER in age/size is best. They will adjust the pecking order regardless, but better assume to let them get older before adding them, or look for some closer in age/size to your current feathered family.
big_smile.png

There is no clear clean answer for you. Some people report success mixing ages like that and some report disasters. A lot depends on the individual chickens personalities and lot depends on your set-up.

Using the search feature is a good idea but you will mostly find the disasters. Most people are successful if they wait until the birds are the same size and they house them side by side where they can see each other but not physically get to each other for a week or two. There are some other things that help, especially if you have plenty of room when you mix them, but not everyone has that.

If you decide to get chicks more the same age now, it would help if you could house them side by side, but it might work out. It just depends. Any way you do it, there will be pecking order issues. As long as no blood is drawn, let them work it out.

Back
Top Bottom